mower thoughts

slangley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm thinking of buying a cub z-force s lp 60". i have about 2 acres of rolling lawn with many bushes, plants, trees, etc to cut around.
anyone have some advice on this choice?
thanks
steve

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
steve ...
Welcome to what has became a very fun informative place..

A couple questions for you:
1 Why are you considering a LP fueled mower?
2 You do realize this is NOT a ZTR mower right? *

KennyV
* They refer to it as zero turn .. but also as 4 wheel steer, actually it is not really either.

It has a very light weight non-reinforced, belt driven, deck... And very light duty everything.
A gel seat is not really a good suspension seat.
The 3 year/180 hour LIMITED warranty leaves a bit to be desired.
I think you could find a GOOD used commercial mower for less than the $6500 price.
If you are looking for a mower that MIGHT last 3 years, this may be the mower for you... but I think you could do better. Even their regular light duty ZTR
could be a better deal for a lot le$$... Just my opinion of this type mower, not trying to offend anyone that has bought one. BUT my first question
still bothers me ... Why would you deliberately want a LP fueled mower?

Last edited:

slangley

Forum Newbie
Threads
KennyV
thanks for the info-more is better.
in the past, i've often used propane powered forklifts, scissorlifts and boomlifts and had excellent results.
i've also used propane in my rv units over the years and am very comfortable with it. also, i'm willing to pay extra to use the cleaner fuel. however, i've never used a propane powered mower. are there drawbacks that i'm not aware of? would appreciate any thoughts on this.
i don't need a zero turn, but i definitely need something that turns sharper than my JD 185 that i have struggled with for the past 2 years. it does not turn sharp and like a truck without power steering.
i'm fairly new to riding mowers so when i looked at the z-force, did not realize that it was so lightweight.
i would hope that what i buy would last for 10 years+-. i also consider low noise level to be a plus.
i never bag-just mulch. with the JD i have many locations where i loose traction with the one wheel and am stuck. i was thinking that with the zforce, it might give me 2 wheel drive instead of 1?
do you have any recomendations as to new or used riders?
steve

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Steve..
I am not against propane, I use it for heating..I have 1000 gallon tank. I have had Gasoline, Diesel and Propane tractors before,
Propane is a reliable fuel, it is just not handy. You can easily fill gas, almost as easily diesel... but propane uses more gallons and is not so easy to refill. It is cleaner but the refill cost and bother is my only problem with mobile use.
I would definitely need to drive a zforce around if I were you, I would also try out a few ZTR's, once you have tried one you will be hard to sell anything less.

If you are wanting to last over 10 years you really should be looking at a commercial grade machine. You are mowing 2 acres, so it is quite a bit more than the average homeowners lot size.

A multi blade deck needs plenty of steel to hold the blades level while under load. You also need enough metal in the frame to put up with a lot of twisting and turning. Check blade spindles they should have grease zerks, wheels and suspension or steering points should also be serviceable, too much is sold today with 'sealed' bearings or light wt bushings, or even plastic inserts as a bushing... these things can not last 10 years...
The zforce dose not look terrible BUT for the price I think it is about $2000 too much, some of that is the increase for LP fuel but still for $6249 I would expect a bit more than that has to offer.
The same Kawasaki engine is in the gasoline and LP model...