mower startup problems

3fivers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a x540 with a 54 inch mower deck. This problem started this year. When I start the pto the engine wants to turn off and sometimes does. I know this does not solve the problem but when it wants to turn off I just disengage the pto and engage it quickly again and that seems to work. I called my John Deere dealer and asked them about this and one thing they said if the spindles rotate freely and I checked and I can spin all 3 of them with one finger. It just seems troublesome when I engage the mower and it labors so much but the spindles seem ok. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like an engine problem to me. Last week I had one with almost the same problem. I would start by checking the valve clearances. It may be only running on one cylinder.

BBO

Threads
When I start the pto the engine wants to turn off and sometimes does.

If you let the engine warm up for 2 minutes or so does it still kill the engine?
How many years old, or how many hours on the engine?

3fivers

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you let the engine warm up for 2 minutes or so does it still kill the engine?
How many years old, or how many hours on the engine?
The engine has 440 hours on it and I let it warm up 2 minutes and tried it and the first time was pretty good but the next 3 were bad.

3fivers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like an engine problem to me. Last week I had one with almost the same problem. I would start by checking the valve clearances. It may be only running on one cylinder.
I pulled one of the spark plug wires off while it was running and then you could tell it was only running on one cylinder so then I put the spark plug wire back on and the engine ran fine

BBO

Threads
I pulled one of the spark plug wires off while it was running and then you could tell it was only running on one cylinder so then I put the spark plug wire back on and the engine ran fine

Yeah if one cylinder is is not firing it's pretty obvious, especially when the blades are engaged.

I have an old LX188 that wants to die when I engage the blades if it's cold. Warmed up no problem.
I just pull the PTO knob out and choke it at the same time for only 1 second and it won't die.:thumbsup:

You probably should take the deck off, and the blade belt to be sure all of the spindles are free and you do not have a bad bearing or idler.
Any belt squeal when the PTO is energized, or bearing noise?

You need to sharpen the blades and grease it anyway.
And clean that deck underneath where you have been mowing wet grass... :laughing:

3fivers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have taken the mower off and also the belt and all the spindles spin freely with one finger. As to the belt squeal I have had just a quick squeal when you first start the pto and then it would go away. That squeal has been going on for several years now so I just assumed it was normal. Then engine slow down has not begun until this spring. No problems until now. It would seem to me that you should go more than 440 hours without a major problem like this, of course I am realistic and know better but I don't know what else to do besides take to my dealer.

BBO

Threads
..I don't know what else to do besides take to my dealer.

It will be interesting to see what they tell you. I hope the engine is not just worn and getting weak.
I suppose you could have an electrical problem with the clutch. Have you ever blown any fuses?

The PTO clutch on my 445 recently went bad and it was blowing a fuse. It was the main power fuse so it would stop fast.
Yours is different with the pulley I think. They are about $160 if that's the problem.

I do not know if this link will work for you, but a mention is made about a problem with these clutches being bad to "seize"
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-lawn-garden/242111-x-series-power-take-off.html

AM141536 is the number for a replacement clutch