Mower starts runs stalls

volt

Threads
On a kawasaki 48" walk behing mower engines. Runs fine for a few minutes then stalls.
Changed Gas filter, Air cleaners, and today installed new carb. No improvement.
Would aprediate any advice.

volt

Threads
Sorry don't have any idea what 'valve lash' means.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Diagnose the problem throwing parts at it can get expensive. You need fuel compression and fire at the right time to run. A set of neon spark testers in a situation like this really are helpful. Pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. If you have fire when it dies try giving it a shot of Gumout carb cleaner and see if it runs on that.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry don't have any idea what 'valve lash' means.
Really don't think valve lash would cause one to quit if it starts to begin with.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
suggest either a new mower or take it to a shop. Throwing parts at it can not only get more expensive than a shop but it can create lots of secondary problems.

It takes 3 things for an engine to run right

Fuel to air mixture
Spark at the right time
Compression.

One of those 3 is missing when it dies, The burden is on whomever is repairing it to figure which one is missing. Only then can someone fix it. Could be as simple as a bad ignition switch on the unit if it has one. Or a chaffed wire that shorts out when you turn it a certain way 10 minutes into the mow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Really don't think valve lash would cause one to quit if it starts to begin with.
It does because enough fuel remains in the cylinder to burn when the fuel supply is enriched but when the choke closes or the revs increase there is not enough to sustain combustion.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
verify fuel flow to the carburetor, if you get debris in the tank or in some cases, if the tank vents through the cap, it will stop fuel flow after a short period.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
On a kawasaki 48" walk behing mower engines. Runs fine for a few minutes then stalls.
Changed Gas filter, Air cleaners, and today installed new carb. No improvement.
Would aprediate any advice.
Will it start right back up or does it need to sit a while before it will start again?

I just noticed you started another thread on this same issue earlier in the week and from that description I may be thinking something different than you about stall. Does it just start running like it's lacking power or does it actually stop running?

volt

Threads
At first if sounds and feels like it is loosing power than dies. It starts up again to make it into garage. I just noticed that when I disconnected fuel hose and opened 'fuel shut off' valve just a trickle of fuel came out. That may explain why it just barely runs then dies. I just ordered new valve and should arrive today.

Reactions: gcc