Mower runs for a couple minutes and stops - toro recycler 22" 20377

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs for a couple minutes and stops - toro recycler 22" 20377
I have a toro recycler 22" Model number 20377 that is about 6 years old now. I had accidentally put bad gas in it and it wouldn't run. I drained the gas and put fresh gas in and it ran. Spark plug is clean (about a year or so old), filter is new, and the carb is clean. When I start the mower, it will run fine for about a minute or two, and then it starts to get sluggish (revving down and back up), like the governor is moving back and forth trying to regulate it. Then it will sputter and shut off. It won't restart immediately. I have to wait a few minutes and then it will turn back on, but will die again within seconds. If I let it sit for half an hour or more, it will run for a couple minutes and die. The front wheels were working as well but it seems the transmission is broken now as the front wheels don't turn when I pull the handle. Don't know if something there is related or not. Maybe I just need to take this into the shop. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model number so we have some idea which unit you have. Should be five digits starting with 2XXXX.

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post the model number so we have some idea which unit you have. Should be five digits starting with 2XXXX.
Sorry just updated the post. 20377. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your Kohler engine should have a Huayi carb, which are prone to gumming up. My suggestion would be to remove the carb, disassemble and thoroughly clean it or have a shop do an ultrasound cleaning.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
start by visually retracing your steps.