Mower maintenance

dmc1620

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all I’ve been a member for a while but haven’t posted in a while. I have a Gravely ZM XL 52 2019 model. I think this is the hardest mower I have ever changed oil in. The little tube they give you is a mess to get on and you wind up getting oil everywhere. Has anyone added a permanent drain tube instead of using the little tube they give you to drain the oil? It would be a great improvement but not sure if I can unscrew the plug that’s there and add a permanent one. I have a cub cadet same year Ultima ZT1 50 and it takes half the time and no mess to change the oil. Anyone know if I can add the upgrade to the oil drain?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all, the engine make, model number, and serial number would be helpful.
Adding a drain hose may require you to loosen the engine mounting bolts and raise the engine high enough to make the change.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's a Kawasaki, which I believe that model comes with, & has the cheap plastic drain (see image) Kaw cheap Oil drain.jpg that can be easily removed, after oil drain, of course first, by simply sawing off the drain nipple at cut line in pic. .. Then simply unscrew it. No engine lifting in my case.

Here's what I swapped mine to. Made for & by Kawasaki. Thread is metric. Part # is there on the bag, as well as the engine models it fits. .. Works super.. Should have came this way.
Kaw Oil drain hose.jpg

Last edited:

dmc1620

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it's a Kawasaki, which I believe that model comes with, & has the cheap plastic drain (see image) View attachment 68621 that can be easily removed, after oil drain, of course first, by simply sawing off the drain nipple at cut line in pic. .. Then simply unscrew it. No engine lifting in my case.

Here's what I swapped mine to. Made for & by Kawasaki. Thread is metric. Part # is there on the bag, as well as the engine models it fits. .. Works super.. Should have came this way.
View attachment 68620
Thanks that’s just what I needed. That should make oil change much easier. It almost seems like they don’t like you to do your own maintenance because everything is harder on this model. Belt change to blade replacement is more involved.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Threaded at M20-2.50.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks that’s just what I needed. That should make oil change much easier. It almost seems like they don’t like you to do your own maintenance because everything is harder on this model. Belt change to blade replacement is more involved.
Cool, I see them on Ebay, & cheaper priced ones (aftermarket) there too. My cousin up North has a Hustler w/same Kawasaki. He was complaining about that cheap drain, I got him one as a surprise.. He loves it too..

dmc1620

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cool, I see them on Ebay, & cheaper priced ones (aftermarket) there too. My cousin up North has a Hustler w/same Kawasaki. He was complaining about that cheap drain, I got him one as a surprise.. He loves it too..
My plastic drain come straight out so I don’t think I will have to cut anything off. Should make it easier to change. Will find out next oil change. Have you had any problem with blade change and pulley turning while holding the blade?

Lawn Addict
Threads
My plastic drain come straight out so I don’t think I will have to cut anything off. Should make it easier to change. Will find out next oil change. Have you had any problem with blade change and pulley turning while holding the blade?
Yes time will tell on that. But doesn't sound like you will have to cut anything on the drain.. Never saw a straight oil drain like you describe ?

I have a Scag Liberty, & I just use my impact gun on blade bolts. I don't have to hold them, just catch it as I gun out each bolt. Same for install.

Last edited: