Mower Humor

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There's way more money in selling used equipment than repairs. Just sayin.
Apparently I just in a bad area then or it is just me. I make more in repairs myself as selling used equipment would require me to just patched or rigged up equipment. I refuse to do it. has to make it through a 90 day warranty or it don't get put up for sale. Even my repairs get a 30 day warranty on what I have done. Anything else gets billed.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Apparently I just in a bad area then or it is just me. I make more in repairs myself as selling used equipment would require me to just patched or rigged up equipment. I refuse to do it. has to make it through a 90 day warranty or it don't get put up for sale. Even my repairs get a 30 day warranty on what I have done. Anything else gets billed.

I did very well. I'd pick up mowers from many different places. Some customers had extra's they didn't want anymore. Sometimes when I was in the scrap yard, I'd see nice looking mowers that only needed a few things. (lot of those in the scrap yard). Put maybe $100 into it and sell it for $500 or $600.
As far as warranty goes, I'd give a 30 day warranty on ONLY what I repaired. Everything else was as is. And most times, I'd have a list of what I warrantied for 30 days.
When I started out, that's all I did. Then word got around and people started bringing me stuff to fix. It was then that I started getting so bogged down in repairs, that I was working night and day just trying to keep up with repairs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then word got around and people started bringing me stuff to fix. It was then that I started getting so bogged down in repairs, that I was working night and day just trying to keep up with repairs.
Been there, was getting so I wasn't leaving the shop fixing Harleys. I finally had to cut back to have a life as well.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I did very well. I'd pick up mowers from many different places. Some customers had extra's they didn't want anymore. Sometimes when I was in the scrap yard, I'd see nice looking mowers that only needed a few things. (lot of those in the scrap yard). Put maybe $100 into it and sell it for $500 or $600.
As far as warranty goes, I'd give a 30 day warranty on ONLY what I repaired. Everything else was as is. And most times, I'd have a list of what I warrantied for 30 days.
When I started out, that's all I did. Then word got around and people started bringing me stuff to fix. It was then that I started getting so bogged down in repairs, that I was working night and day just trying to keep up with repairs.
I have nearly new mower at the recycling centers but they refuse to sell them to me for parts so I refuse to sell them my scrape metal. It goes both ways.

And yes business is already picking up here too this Winter/Spring season. But what has come in are major repairs. One looks like it needs a new engine as the short blocks are taking 3-6 months to get now from Kohler but I can a new engine in a couple weeks.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have nearly new mower at the recycling centers but they refuse to sell them to me for parts so I refuse to sell them my scrape metal. It goes both ways.

And yes business is already picking up here too this Winter/Spring season. But what has come in are major repairs. One looks like it needs a new engine as the short blocks are taking 3-6 months to get now from Kohler but I can a new engine in a couple weeks.

Refuse to sell you mowers? They're losing money. That's retarded.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Refuse to sell you mowers? They're losing money. That's retarded.
Well I didn't say Alabamians are very did I? Most are down on someone from Tennessee anyway. Never understand that since a lot of them work in Tennessee factories.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doh, hate it when that happens.