Mower does not want to drive anymore after 1 cut since replacing drive belt

Lawnranger

Threads
  • / Mower does not want to drive anymore after 1 cut since replacing drive belt
It's an 02 and back then they didn't name the models, I know what you are saying they make Mustang and bronco, etc. but the difference is just the cut size and hp. I have not had a chance to check that bearing that is my next thing to check tomorrow.

I was unaware that they did not use model names back in '02 but thank you for telling me that. Would you mind posting the model number? I'd like to go on troybilt.com and look at the diagram myself to see if I can figure it out.

You mentioned in another post that you tried the spring in all four of the possible positions but none of them worked. Is the spring damaged? If not, this is leading me back to the variable speed pulley bearing or another bearing in the drive system. I'd sure like to know what ultimately fixes your mower so please keep this thread going until it's fixed.

stang8689

Threads
The model number is14ar809k063 serial number 185002 there is no damage to the spring. I jacked up the rear end and when it's running I push the gas and the wheels spin but I can stop the wheels from moving with just a little force from my hands so something is slipping the bearing seamed fine I didnt remove the pulley but tomorrow I am going to remove the belt and check all pulleyes. The new belt is a factory Mtd part and I still have the old one to compare it to.

stang8689

Threads
well it seams that my crank seal started leaking again and when I removed the PTO there was alot of oil and the belt was soaked and im sure this is causing the belt to slip. When I put full pressure on the gas pedal when im under the mower and grab the belt and move it, I can see the engine pulley which is under that leaking crank seal slipping

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep ---- Oil on the belt would make it slip ! :rolleyes:

Hope you can get that seal fixed without too much trouble or $$$ !

stang8689

Threads
Do you think I will need another new belt or could I clean the belt with some brake clean or something

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
First thing is to make sure the oil is not getting on the belt again -- I would try brake clean - It does not leave an oily residue - usually will not hurt belt material (unless it is on there wet for too long).

stang8689

Threads
That was the problem for sure. I took the drive belt off and cleaned all the pullies real good then put the old belt on, it worked almost as normal, I did at least get the grass cut to buy me some time to get the new seal. I am going to clean the newer belt really good and give it a shot once I fix the oil leak, at worst I still have the old one to get me buy if I have to order a new one. thanks