Threads
Is ariens a good ok or bad brand for mowers

Is cub cadet a good ok or bad brand for mowers

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

1)I have a next door neighbor that has had an Ariens ZTR for 15 years and it still makes his lawn look like a golf course. In fact, I just purchased a new Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ zero turn and they are made by Ariens Co.(Gravely has made farm, lawn & other power equipment since 1916 and was purchased by Ariens in 2008). My neighbor's experience with Ariens and the Gravely build quality/warranty/price when I compared it to a half dozen other well known brands was my top choice and I am very happy with it.
2)I have a niece that had a residential Cub Cadet purchased from a big box retailer and she had nothing but problems with that mower. The better Cub Cadet models(and commercial models) you get from dealers may be better quality, but I didn't even consider them when I began shopping a month or so ago.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Both are good brand mowers, I prefer the Cub Cadet. I've used the Cubs for years without any problems and I'd go with them before Ariens.

Threads
Both are good brand mowers, I prefer the Cub Cadet. I've used the Cubs for years without any problems and I'd go with them before Ariens.

So you like Cub Cadets? For some reason I have the notion that they are not built that well. Is that true?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you like Cub Cadets? For some reason I have the notion that they are not built that well. Is that true?

The Cub Cadets are a very well built mower. I've run the the Z Force mowers for years and have never had any problems. My 48" ZTR was purchased in November 2010 and now has over 600hrs and the only thing I've done to that mower has been to replace the deck belt twice. There Walk Behind mowers like the G1336 was flawless and so are there caster self propelled mowers (CC98H).
The problem that Cub Cadet has is all the negative publicity they get about it being made by MTD which IMO a load of crap.

Threads
The Cub Cadets are a very well built mower. I've run the the Z Force mowers for years and have never had any problems. My 48" ZTR was purchased in November 2010 and now has over 600hrs and the only thing I've done to that mower has been to replace the deck belt twice. There Walk Behind mowers like the G1336 was flawless and so are there caster self propelled mowers (CC98H).
The problem that Cub Cadet has is all the negative publicity they get about it being made by MTD which IMO a load of crap.

OK. How about their normal rider mowers? I mean I know they aren't built like they used to be, but are they still good??

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK. How about their normal rider mowers? I mean I know they aren't built like they used to be, but are they still good??

There's nothing wrong with there normal mowers as you say and is anything built like it used to be? People need to understand what they're buying . The greatest percentage of mowers you buy at Home Depot or low end mowers are designed for a specific use. There meant for someone who has a residents with maybe 1/8 acre or 1/4 acre lot for a once a week cut, there not intended for everyday use. So are they still good, Yes as good as any other mower they have on the lot for there intended use.

Threads
There's nothing wrong with there normal mowers as you say and is anything built like it used to be? People need to understand what they're buying . The greatest percentage of mowers you buy at Home Depot or low end mowers are designed for a specific use. There meant for someone who has a residents with maybe 1/8 acre or 1/4 acre lot for a once a week cut, there not intended for everyday use. So are they still good, Yes as good as any other mower they have on the lot for there intended use.

OK...good to know.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think that the point made here by Ric is the key to unrealistic expectations by some mower shoppers. If you buy a Cub Cadet, John Deere or any "name brand" at a big box retailer like Lowes or Home Depot and you expect the same quality as buying that same brand through a "dealer" you are just kidding yourself. My original post in this thread, where I quoted my niece having major problems with a Cub Cadet was indeed a residential unit she purchased from Home Depot. Unfortunately(she didn't ask me for advice), she just replaced that mower with a John Deere lawn tractor from Lowes(instead of going to the John Deere dealer half a mile from Lowes). I looked at the JD's at the local dealer when I was shopping for ZTR's and considered buying a 645, and I asked the sales manager if the JD's at Lowes were the same quality as the lawn tractors he had....he just laughed and shook his head. Yeah, my niece probably saved a couple hundred bucks from getting a similar lawn tractor from the dealer, but it's like the old addage..."you get what you pay for":0)