Mower blades not turning

heyinway

Threads
I'm almost at my wits end..I have a used 2010 LA140. I have replaced the PTO clutch, all 4 rims/tires, PTO switch, and neutral switch.
Got it running smooth, started cutting my lawn, had to disengage the PTO to back up..started forward again and pulled the PTO to start cutting...nothing tried turning the PTO on and off a couple times..I can hear the clutch engaging but no mower..any ideas?
Every tractor with a 12volt pto clutch requires a tight fitting belt. Tensioner must be totally function and correct spring used. Tensioner pivot point will wear egg shaped and cause issues. Belts don't stretch, the width of them deteriorates and allow the belt to be too deep in pulley grooves...then it is loose.
Tractors without 12volt pto clutches are loose when disengaged and tightened by the tensioner which is controlled by a manual lever that moves a cable attached to the tensioner. Again the tensioner pivot point can become egg shaped and cause issues.

coveylane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm almost at my wits end..I have a used 2010 LA140. I have replaced the PTO clutch, all 4 rims/tires, PTO switch, and neutral switch.
Got it running smooth, started cutting my lawn, had to disengage the PTO to back up..started forward again and pulled the PTO to start cutting...nothing tried turning the PTO on and off a couple times..I can hear the clutch engaging but no mower..any ideas?
I have an LA130 and this happened. It was a broken wire where the wire feeds to the pto through the chasis.

SoarinRed

Forum Newbie
Threads
1. with the belts on does the tensioner engage
2. check to see if belts aren't worn enough to be slipping, belts can slip even if they look new.
3. My mower if the parking brake is set and the transmission is in neutral will run without sitting on the mower. If yours will run also, engage the mowing deck and lay next to the deck and see what component isn't functioning and hopefully you can resolve your issues.

TobyU

Threads
If you can hear the PTO clicking when you pull the lever then the electrical system should be fine. More than likely a belt is loose and off of one of the pulleys or jumped off or something like that..
Those machines will have a belt under constant tension and quite a bit of it too. You should be able to lower the deck to the lowest setting and look to make sure the belt is tight and going around everything.

If you hear the clutch clicking like that and the belts on everything there's really few options of what can be going on. Those things will drag the belt along for a ride over and around anything even when improperly routed and shred a belt in just a few seconds because there's quite a bit of power involved there.
If you're hearing nothing sounds to me like the belt is loose and when you engage the PTO the pulley is spinning but the belt is just sitting there.

Hal12

Threads
If it's not kicking in at all your "new" switch may be the fault. Regardless of the condition of your idler, the motor should still rotate the belt even with its dragging on a pulley.

Steve Smith

Threads
I have a mower that will not engage the PTO Clutch when it is hot. Engage the clutch cold and it will work fine. But, don't turn it off because you will not get it to reengage again till she cools down for several hours.

STX-38-46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to mention that if the battery is running low or the system is not charging fully the PTO will not stay engaged under load . You will still hear a click but without enough voltage it will not pull in..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a residential mower? Where are they?
only fitted to decks that have timed overlapping or counter rotating decks
JD is one of the few companies that still make alternative decks for their mowers

TobyU

Threads
I have a mower that will not engage the PTO Clutch when it is hot. Engage the clutch cold and it will work fine. But, don't turn it off because you will not get it to reengage again till she cools down for several hours.
That can be the air gap. If it is adjustable.
I usually test by tapping on the pto housing with a broom handle etc etc the switch on to see it it comes on.