Motor shuts down when blades engaged

fmitchelltx

Threads
I have a Craftsman 917.377151 42" riding mower. I went to mow a neighbors grass this morning and while I was mowing, the drive (forward and reverse) belt came loose. I brought the mower home and put the belt back on the mower properly. I then drove back down to the neighbors home to mow. Once I got down there, I engaged the blades and the mower engine started to shut down. It shuts down just like if you get off of the seat, it will kill the motor. It will go up and down the road all day long but once I try to engage the blades it will shut down. It was fine before I put the belt back on the pulleys. I do not see any wires, etc that I could be hitting when I try to engage the blades.

Does anyone have an idea what my problem could be? Any help would be greatlly appreciated.

Thank you,

Frank

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The seat switch is connected to the PTO so if you fall off the blades shut down.

Your problem with be with the switch or the wiring from the switch to the PTO switch.
They are all ground circuits so it is case of close visual inspection.

fmitchelltx

Threads
Have found one white wire that was loose and one 2 blade connector that does not go anywhere. I plugged the white wire back in place, where I am guessing it goes, but still have the same problem. Can I just unplug the wire(s) from the PTO switch and fix my problem? I have no idea how this could all of a sudden be a problem as all I did was put the drive belt back on and that is under the frame where the motor is mounted. It has to be a problem with either the switch or wiring to the PTO. That is why I would just like to unhook or bypass the PTO switch if possible. Will that solve my problem?

Attached is a picture of the 2 blade connector that seems to go nowhere, 20160905_115212.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

fmitchelltx

Threads
Yes, I put the model number of my push mower in, not my riding mower. Anyway, I found my problem. The spindle pulley on one side is bad so I have ordered another.
Thanks for the help!