Motor or Engine

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I used to call the thing in my car an engine, now I call it a motor.....still runs the same.

A friend of mine, when referring to 'the thing in my car' , is now talking about his X wife...

I remind him it is no longer his car... that's when he uses other adjectives to refer to her and the car... :smile:KennyV

Threads
I guess it also depends on the region your in.

thehemikid

Threads
Fwiw, (just adding to the discussion), .... General Motors, .... Ford Motor Company, .... Chrysler Motors Corporation :smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fwiw, (just adding to the discussion), .... General Motors, .... Ford Motor Company, .... Chrysler Motors Corporation :smile:

UMMM...so many cars with warning lites on the dash have one that says "Check engine" but has anybody ever seen a warning lite that says "Check motor"?

I rest my case.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever hear many guys in NASCAR refer to it as anything BUT "the motor"?

"Well, we gave 'er a good run fer it, but thar in turn three, sumthin' went wrong, and we dun blowed the motor.....think we musta busted tha oal line."
- Bill Elliot

If Elliot calls it a 'Motor', guess it's official!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever hear many guys in NASCAR refer to it as anything BUT "the motor"?

- Bill Elliot

If Elliot calls it a 'Motor', guess it's official!

Who is Bill Elliot? Oh yes, one of them southern rednecks like the Dixie Choppers. Goes to show how much the rednecks know....

Excuse me I gotta go work on the MOTOR of my shop vac then I gotta tune the ENGINE on my truck and well, you get the idea.

Electric=motor
Internal combustion=engine

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
With your salty fingers, you have 'poor language skills' - so your opinion means squat. :biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With your salty fingers, you have 'poor language skills' - so your opinion means squat. :biggrin:

Don't get me started on this but, "ENGINE" HAS to mean a source of propulsion which is NOT electric, such as a motor.

Has anybody here EVER, I repeat EVER, heard or used the term "STEAM MOTOR?"

GOTCHA !!!!!! Squat down and kiss my behind.

thehemikid

Threads
I agree with the use of "Engine" for the internal combustion & steam engine, I feel it's proper. I was adding to the discussion how the car companies referred to themselves, ...but even I myself have used the words interchangeably,... as whichever one felt comfortable at the moment.