Motor Dies When PTO Engages

Papphy1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
42" Raptor Model #937847, Serial #17115748. 21.5 HP Kawasaki FR651V. Mower starts and drives but dies immediately when the button is pulled to engage the PTO/blades. Also, the deck bucks fairly violently at the same time. With the switch on, motor not running, there is an audible 'click' when the PTO button is pulled up.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The clunk is the clutch engaging.
You need to determine that the blades are not locked up.

Papphy1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just double checked and both blades turn free. My son took the belt off and checked to make sure all the pullies turned freely. The belt is installed correctly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check your seat switch. It becomes the only path to keep the engine kill relay active once the PTO switch is pulled. This provided the engine is being electrically killed.

Now if you are able to drive around mower without the PTO engaged the seat would be working. Also the start relay might have burned contacts not allowing the seat switch to provide voltage for the kill relay. Otherwords Hustler made necessary for the operator to be on the seat.
1708606280207.png

Last edited:

Mr. Mower

Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor Flip-up with a 54" deck that I've owned, brand new, since 2015.....so it definitely is a different model altogether, from yours.

Don't know if this helps or not but check your Operators Manual concerning your Deck Clutch, engaging, etc.?

The Operators Manual (pages 3-10 & 3-11 respectively) for my ZT states the following when engaging the Deck Clutch (PTO):
Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 1.44.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 1.45.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 1.41.17 PM.png

Again, just my $0.02 about all this.

Hopefully you'll get your problem solved and all worked out and if you do get it resolved post details about it here on this thread you created.

Good luck!

Papphy1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turned out to be the PTO switch. To make sure it wasn't a deck problem my son took the belt off and engaged the PTO. He said it ran for a few seconds and then died. He said the switch didn't feel right, like it was catching near the full out position. When he had me go out with him it started, engaged and kept running. Playing with the switch he said the catch was gone. Possibly some dirt got inside the switch. Anyway, it's running now and I have a new switch on order.

Last edited: