Moles/Voles

Rpeter1

Threads
I wish I was lucky enough to have moles/voles. I have ground hogs. Those suckers leave really big holes in the ground. :laughing:

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I wish I was lucky enough to have moles/voles. I have ground hogs. Those suckers leave really big holes in the ground. :laughing:

Yes, but depending on where you live (country), you can fix your problem with a .22 rimfire or centerfire.

danny57

Threads
I posted this answer to another question but, I bet you have grubs in your yard, probably lots of grubs. As I say below, the only, ONLY way to get rid of moles is to get rid of their food sorce. They love grubs and will stay as long as they have food.

I used to have such a severe grub problem that they practically destroyed my yard. And besides the grubs, moles came looking for an easy and plentiful meal thus helping to tear up my yard. I researched and talked to anyone who knew anything about the blasted creatures. A VA Tech extension agent suggested that in order to get rid of the moles I had to get rid of their food source which were grubs. He said that Milky Spore would rid my yard of grubs and would last for up to 15 years. Milky Spore is rather expensive but I gave it a try. You can apply it anytime but I would not apply it during the dry summer months. It will not hurt plants or animals since it is organic. Guess what, the stuff really works. I applied it to my yard about 14 years ago and have had no grub or mole problem since. Am getting ready to bit the bullet and pay for another treatment. You can buy it in powder or grandular form. I purchased powder and had to drop a teaspoon of the stuff every 3 feet in my yard. It then needs to be watered into the ground. Just Google Milky Spore and it will take you to web sites where it can be purchased. Its also available at many garden centers.

ubique

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have battled Moles since moving onto my current rural property 25 years ago. I have tried smoke bombs, chewing gum, moth balls, pincher traps, and plunger traps but the most success I have had is with a simple "BlackBox" trap sold by Victor traps. They are available at just about any farm store here on the Canadian side of the border and, I assume, would be available in the U.S. as well.

jross

Threads
Gempler's sells plastic worms that moles eat and it kills them. Voles are another matter.

mamaA

Threads
OMgosh. I just posted something very similar. I am in Virginia too! What is it with these things in Virginia?!! This year seems to be worse for us. I feel like I am tripping over the mounds of grass every day from their tunneling.

RockHound

Threads
I would just start trapping them like you do with mice in the house. I haven't had any success with any of the chemical products that are out there but I have caught quite a few. Like another poster said, be careful of the knife like plunger traps, they can be dangerous but they are quite effective.:thumbsup:

Stevie-Ray

Threads
You might check with the government and see if you can still get Cherry-Bombs. That's what they're for (gophers, actually) and they are only given to agricultural people, so I don't know what the requirements are, i.e. whether you need to be subsidized, etc. It's possible all you need is to have some land and a real problem with tunneling creatures. And it'd be a real blast to rid youself of them in this way.:laughing: