Model 31P677

J.D.Dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 19.5 B&S 31P677 won't turn over when it's coming up to TDC, good battery, good starter, valves adjusted. I've read where there's a compression release on the camshaft, I need to know if this may be my problem and if it is can this part be replaced or do I have to replace the camshaft?
Thanks for any help with this,
Dave

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
the first thing you need to check is the valve clearances. Remove the valve cover, and the spark plug. put a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and while turning the engine over you will feel the screwdriver move up and then start back down, At about 1/4 inch down look at the valves. Are they both closed. If not then rotate the engine 180 degrees and then do the screwdriver trick again. Set the bottom valve at .004-.006 and the top valve at .005-.007. rotate the engine through a couple of cycles and recheck the clearances. When correct put the cover back on and try to start. If it still hangs up and you are sure the valve clearances are correct, then at this point you will need to replace the camshaft because the compression is not repairable. Actually if it is broke, it may be laying in the oil pan.