Model 091202 carb problem with installing new fuel pick up tube

dantheman#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Model 091202 carb problem with installing new fuel pick up tube
I need to replace the plastic fuel pick up tube on carb. This was broken by my best 4 legged friend as he was "helping" me. I got the new part at my local B & S dealer but can't figure out how to get it to slide on. The plastic is very rigid and the internal diameter of the tube is much smaller than the brass tube it's supposed to fit on. I know it needs to be a tight fit so it can suck gas without losing any "pressure" but there must be a magic trick to putting it on. I guess I'll try boiling water and inserting the end of the fuel pick up tube that goes over the brass tube and put some Dawn dishwashing soap on the brass part and see if that will work. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated in case what I try doesn't work.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I just checked the manual and it says to dip the small end of the nylon fuel tube in hot water and then slide over the end of the brass tube.

Mikel1

Threads
I usually dab a drop of oil on the brass tube then try to get the plastic tube started. Then slowly turning with some pressure on the plastic. You have to be careful not to break or crack the brass tube. Might have to try the hot water though, might make it easier to start the plastic to the brass tube.

dantheman#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the response. I was able to successfully install the pick up tube on the brass pipe by careful use of a hot air gun. Sounds like my idea of using the hot water was the preferred way from the manual. Thanks again.