Mini Boom Mower attachment for rider

chobbs1957

Threads
Anybody ever tried attaching or building a boom mower to a rider? I have been thinking of a practical way to get a boom mower on one of my old riders. It would come in so handy for ditches and pond banks! A trail mower would never do what this thing could do.

The weight distribution and weight in general are concerns I have. A direction I have been thinking through is one where I use an old mower deck with a 24V DC motor running it. I could position a couple of 12V trolling motor batteries on opposite side of rider from boom both for power and counter balance weight. I've even thought about some smaller batteries like those that run scooters or Power Wheels toy vehicles....

Pictured below is a model some guy "in the bayou" posted at some site I found some months back. I like this! However, he is using a larger rider than what I have available and is letting most or all of the mower weight be carried by the mower deck wheels. I'm thinking I want to avoid depending on deck wheels to keep the option open of using over the pond bank.

By using a 24DC motor, I may get enough voltage and amperage to have decent power, AND by having the battery power located on the rider, I have a much lighter mower deck load to carry.

Anyhoos, I welcome feedback before I move any further. I consider myself a "Do it yourselfer" and a "Build it yourselfer", but am not as savvy at such projects as many people I know and admire, especially on this forum!
BayouMoat_ditchmowerB.jpg BayouMoat_ditchmowerA.jpg

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
asset.php

I believe that the electric motor would be a good idea - It would be easier to turn on and off, would be lighter, and would not be subject to being too steep to keep oil circulating.

The blades pictured are Meg-Mo blades and kick back like bush hog cutters.

chobbs1957

Threads
I believe that the electric motor would be a good idea - It would be easier to turn on and off, would be lighter, and would not be subject to being too steep to keep oil circulating. The blades pictured are Meg-Mo blades and kick back like bush hog cutters.

I wonder about a 12V trolling motor? I see that a Minn Kotal model with 30 lb thrust at Walmart runs 1400 rpm, not sure if that's enough. Mounting it and adding a blade to it are hard enough to figure out, but maybe I could speed it up with a belt + two pulley combination to get it up some.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using LMF