Maximum time between mowings

Flossie

Threads
I am wondering how long is too long between mowings. I am looking at a period of a couple of weeks between the final mow by the current occupiers of the property I am moving into, and my actual move in date. I don't know too much about lawns as this is my first ever house.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am wondering how long is too long between mowings. I am looking at a period of a couple of weeks between the final mow by the current occupiers of the property I am moving into, and my actual move in date. I don't know too much about lawns as this is my first ever house.
can't really say:confused2:
Depends on where you live and how much rain hits the ground between mowings. The type of grass and how much sun / shade is on it is a big factor.
In some places 2 weeks is no big deal. In florida, this year, a bahia lawn will be 10-15 inches high in 2 weeks.

jacko

Threads
I see that you are in California unfortunately that is a very long state with lots of different kinds of weather. If you live in the south chances are two weeks is not going to make much of a difference. If you live in the central or northern part then it may be the opposite.

Twinkle

Threads
Yes, location is going to be the biggest decider. Here in the UK people are already talking about doing their final mow of the season. I am waiting it out though as the weather in hardly predictable. I always imagine California to be year round sunshine. (Well that's how it looks on the TV!).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like RobertBrown and the others have said, growth varies....

But we are going into the fall and things have definitely slowed down... I'm mowing about 2 wks apart, and I am going to try to get 2 more mowings in before I start getting ready for the 'last mowing' when it will be mostly fallen leaves and very little grass that will get chopped up...

You should not have any problem with 2 wks between mowings now... but next spring 1 wk will seem too long... :smile:KennyV

Flossie

Threads
Oops my bad. i am in southern Cali so I guess a couple of weeks will be okay. I just don't want to be faced with something that is out of control by I move in. I really need to get up to speed on the whole business of home ownership! Thanks for the replies folks.