Mats killed my lawn???

2ball

Threads
So I buy these mats from tractor supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

When I get them home I unload them and put them on the grass. Its a hot day 95 degrees, the mats are heavy about 100 pounds each and they were on the grass for between 4 to 6 hours. When I moved them the grass was smashed down, but everything looked ok. The next day the grass looked like the picture. Why did this happen? Do you think the grass will come back?

LFiNhNI.jpg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it may or may not. Depends if the roots were cooked or they just went dormant due to the heat. I set a glass window down one time on the grass on a hot day while measuring the opening for a new window. It was only down for maybe 20 - 25 minutes but it was enough to cause the lawn to go dormant, and look like yours. Took a couple weeks to come back.

You can overseed in case it is dead, water and in the meantime paint if it bothers you that much. If it is dormant it will come back with just watering but it may still be noticeable in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Throw the sprinkler on and hope for the best. Two threads about your problem was your second mistake, please delete one.

2ball

Threads
its looking better, I can see green grass blades in the brown dormant grass.

Attachments

• grass-min.jpg
    grass-min.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 6

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question did you learn not to do it again?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
yep, next time I'm only leaving it on the grass for 2 hours, not 4 hours!
wrong answer. The correct answer is put it on the concrete and not the lawn. I told you about the glass window. It was not even 1/2 hour and it knocked the grass down.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think he was joking.............

2ball

Threads
20 minutes on the lawn??? got it!