Massy snapper 1650 tranny Problems

SS16 diesel

Threads
Problems With massy snapper 1650 hydro. I have a massy/snapper 1650 with a hydro that has a striped shaft splines on the hydro pump need parts or a good way to fix it I have the 3 point for it and it's been sitting to long when it ran a had JB welded the drive shaft on and that didn't work pleas help has anyone had this problem

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a Browning pulley distributor in your area, check with them. Browning makes split pulley hubs that bolt on and clamp tight, even on a less than perfect shaft.... :smile:KennyV

SS16 diesel

Threads
But it's shaft drive and the splines on the tranny are striped and probably the shaft to

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you drill it and pin or bolt it. You may find that it isn't harden steel.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get a Browning split splined Hub.... Weld it to the damaged shaft, It should be able to clamp to the shaft on the pump... You can try to lay it out Before welding it together. If you have the space needed to do this it will save you having a new input shaft made & installed in the pump... And rebuilding the drive shaft... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get a Browning split splined Hub.... Weld it to the damaged shaft, It should be able to clamp to the shaft on the pump... You can try to lay it out Before welding it together. If you have the space needed to do this it will save you having a new input shaft made & installed in the pump... And rebuilding the drive shaft... :smile:KennyV

I am trying to picture this in my mind. The hub is splinted that goes to the pump shaft and being split you must be able to tighten some how? Just how is that going to hold if the splines are gone on the shaft? A while back I had the same type of problem on a customer repair but replaced the transmission because I couldn't figure out how to fix it and now seeing this I wonder if it would of worked? As I recall the transmissino was a little under a 1000 dollars.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My past life seemed to revolve around improvise and fabricate... (still is at times)...

The browning split hubs are available in various bore with a split taper mount...
I usually had to turn a piece or cut a center out of a pulley, but I have been able to 'repair' destroyed splines on shafts, it amounts to a pinch swedge using the split hub...
http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/climate/pdfs/HVAC-05 Catalog LR p150-157.pdf

I have had great success with High tourque & high rpm applications, where it was not practical or possable to get complicated input/output shafts... if things were too chewed up I might have to also use something like : Quick Metal Silver Retaining Compound - 50 ml
I never had a failure once completed... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
M

I have had great success with High tourque & high rpm applications, where it was not practical or possable to get complicated input/output shafts... if things were too chewed up I might have to also use something like : Quick Metal Silver Retaining Compound - 50 ml
I never had a failure once completed... :smile:KennyV

How does the Ouick Metal silver work with loose bearing races or loose shaft splines. I use JB weld now and have had somewhat luck with it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quick Metal stays fluid (thick like paste) until it is captured and compressed a little.. then it sets ... the big advantage is it works more like a gap filler, and you can easily take apart if you have to get back...
Incredible strength, the first time I used it was on a final drive on my Cat crawler loader.... even with that kind of torque loading it did not push out ....
:smile:KennyV

SS16 diesel

Threads
I can't weld it I'll burn the seal in the pump but I was thinking of the