Make Your Own Gaskets!

DaveTN

Threads
I needed a Carburetor to Tank gasket as well as a Carburetor to Engine gasket and didn't want to drive 20 miles roundtrip to get them. So, I used 30lb roofing paper (the thicker one) which is nothing more than paper impregnated with tar and works fine on this older 5 HP Briggs & Stratton side shaft engine mounted on a leaf vacuum. I've done this many times before on various engines;and use a small ball peen hammer to peck ~~~lightly~~~around the edge of the carb so as to crimp the paper showing where to cut the edges, then do the same for the holes and use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut out the holes. Takes a little time, but will work in a pinch. Works just as well on the oil pan gaskets.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I needed a Carburetor to Tank gasket as well as a Carburetor to Engine gasket and didn't want to drive 20 miles roundtrip to get them. So, I used 30lb roofing paper (the thicker one) which is nothing more than paper impregnated with tar and works fine on this older 5 HP Briggs & Stratton side shaft engine mounted on a leaf vacuum. I've done this many times before on various engines;and use a small ball peen hammer to peck ~~~lightly~~~around the edge of the carb so as to crimp the paper showing where to cut the edges, then do the same for the holes and use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut out the holes. Takes a little time, but will work in a pinch. Works just as well on the oil pan gaskets.
Yep, when necessary, been makin my own personal and at the job for nearly 60 years. I've found more often than not mechanics use material that's way thicker than necessary and purchased gaskets are usually that way . If we look at a carb flange that's not flat it is because of bolt torque in combination with too thick of gasket . 1/64" - 1/32" works most of the time .

For little( subjective ) holes a leather punch works well around gasket edges. I've found even a small ball bearing works better than me trying to hit exactly where ball peen should hit . And then I have some shop made punches from stainless tubing I'm really proud of .

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Uncle told me stories of when he was building roads across the deserts of Sudan. When they had a engine go down they would rebuild it on the spot and cut gaskets out of cereal boxes. He said it was amazing how they could make do out in the middle of nowhere. :cool::cool:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can buy sheets (or rolls) of gasket material at auto parts stores.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll never forget the day the new tire pump came in the mail . so we didn't have to cut the tongue from or the top off of our high top leather shoes to make new hand pump leathers . :biggrin: Remove a spark plug from the Model A , screw in the adapter , start the engine and pump away. The smaller adapter was required for that newer modern 40 chevy . :laughing:

By the way, leather can be used for gasket material in some instances.

Attachments

• Tire Pump.jpg
    Tire Pump.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29

DaveTN

Threads
Re: Make Your Own Air Pump!

I'll never forget the day the new tire pump came in the mail . so we didn't have to cut the tongue from or the top off of our high top leather shoes to make new hand pump leathers . :biggrin: Remove a spark plug from the Model A , screw in the adapter , start the engine and pump away. The smaller adapter was required for that newer modern 40 chevy . :laughing:

By the way, leather can be used for gasket material in some instances.

You can make your own home-made Air Pump! Take an old spark plug, knock the porcelain out of it and knock off the end gap.(But you don't really have to for it to work) In other words, gut it out! Then take a tap the size and thread pitch of a quick-connect air hose fitting (male) and tap the hole into the top of the spark plug base. Screw a quick connect down in it and VOILA!...you have a screw-in air pump. Or you could drill and weld it. All you have to do then is get a female quick connect fitting and slip it over the one you just made and screwed into the spark plug hole. With an air filler fitting on the other end of your quick connect hose, you're in business. I made the hose long enough to reach any tire on the car as well as some distance from my vehicle for use on the tractor in the field, or what ever you wish to air up. Good insurance on the road too as you may be able to help a stranded motorist or yourself. The only drawback is you're pumping some raw gas fumes~~~ into the tires or tank etc.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a youngster I had always thought the purchased pumps put a combustible mix in the tire but then an elder informed me those vents in the adapter sides are there to allow atmospheric air only to be compressed . :biggrin: I took his word and have never questioned that theory .

DaveTN

Threads
As a youngster I had always thought the purchased pumps put a combustible mix in the tire but then an elder informed me those vents in the adapter sides are there to allow atmospheric air only to be compressed . :biggrin: I took his word and have never questioned that theory .

The one I made didn't have any vents, altho I looked at your photo and saw the vents and wondered what they were for. Looks to me like it would lose air pressure with those vents. Interesting how you have the compression gauge in there as well. Mine was just a solid modified spark plug deal with a hose. I've never had any trouble out of a little gas vapor really and it wouldn't hurt the tire in an emergency fix enough to get into a station and put fresh air into it.