Maiden voyage on the SS5060

wbw

Threads
I did my first cut with my new 5060. It ran great and cut my time from 1.25 hrs to 50 mins. I had been using a Hustler Mini Fastrak with a 42 inch deck (which only cut a 36 in path). I'm pretty sure I was traveling faster on the Toro than I did on the Hustler but I'm not sure why. The Hustler was capable of going as fast as the Toro but I never used it as fast as I just cut with the Toro. It did a beautiful job, although the grass was not real long. The cut could have waited a few more days but it had been a week and I was anxious to use the new machine. :biggrin:

I still don't have the starting down yet. I gave it full choke and it wouldn't start. Took the choke off and it did start. But I'm pretty sure that I tried the other day with no choke it wouldn't start either. Similar temperatures both times.

After I turned it off, about two seconds later it made some kind of wheezing sound that I've never heard before from any kind of equipment. I'll have to keep an eye on that one.

I sold my Hustler on Craigslist in 24 hours. I thought I would be stuck with it until spring since we're heading into fall, but I had four people respond to the ad. I wrote a good ad too, I thought. Four pictures and full details of everything I could think of. 24 hours later it was gone.

Just need to get used to the Toro now.

Brucebotti

Threads
WBW,
Glad to hear you are pleased with the SS5060. I think I know what the sound was you are talking about. I believe it is the electric brake setting itself, even though to me it sounds more like a solenoid. At least this is whatit is on my MX5060. You can check it by putting it in and out of gear with the key on, but the engine not started.
Good luck with your new mower,
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
wbw - Try 1/2 choke on cold start. That's what my 4260 likes anyhow.. You'll see what it likes best in no time..

Enjoy man..

PS: I agree with Bruce about the strange sound, Electric solenoid setting the brake..(perfectly normal). It weirded me out at first too..

wbw

Threads
Thanks guys for the parking brake info. Never noticed that happening at the dealer when I tested though.
It did sound like an electrical noise (maybe solenoid) with a wheez at the end.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bruce is correct parking brake, nothing to worry about.

greeen

Threads
On the choke..pull it out before cranking...then as soon as it cranks a second push it in. These kawis act like they need a hole in thechoke plate....seals up too well and floods