Magneto ground wire

navydad2022

Threads
I disconnected the magneto ground wire and my mower started,l have a snapper riding mower and was trying to figure out what the problem is.once l connect wire back and it won't start.

navydad2022

Threads
Could it be a ignition switch or safety switch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
the ground wire is open circuit to run & closed circuit to stop
So you have to trace the wire back to find the faulty switch or short to ground
I find it easiest to clamp one lead of a test lamp to the battery + then probe to find a ground which of course illuminates the test lamp

navydad2022

Threads
Yes
the ground wire is open circuit to run & closed circuit to stop
So you have to trace the wire back to find the faulty switch or short to ground
I find it easiest to clamp one lead of a test lamp to the battery + then probe to find a ground which of course illuminates the test lamp

navydad2022

Threads
Thank you,I started by the magneto to check for spark,The ground wire attaches to a central location on side of engine and from there to solenoid.

navydad2022

Threads
I'm a newbie on riding mowers, should I check ignition switch and safety switches,it starts fine when disconnect wire on magneto

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I'm a newbie on riding mowers, should I check ignition switch and safety switches,it starts fine when disconnect wire on magneto
Yes along the wiring especially if the kill wire run behind the starter as that is one place they get pinch when someone replaces the starter and don't pay attention to the wires.

navydad2022

Threads
Yes along the wiring especially if the kill wire run behind the starter as that is one place they get pinch when someone replaces the starter and don't pay attention to the wires.
Hello Star Tech and Thank you for everything, did a little finessing on the Snapper 281223BVE.now the mower doesn't crank, check the ignition switch and the solenoid and this what l have going on.I have 12.89 voltage at solenoid connection and also at the starter connection.could the switch and solenoid be bad.

navydad2022

Threads
Hello Star Tech and Thank you for everything, did a little finessing on the Snapper 281223BVE.now the mower doesn't crank, check the ignition switch and the solenoid and this what l have going on.I have 12.89 voltage at solenoid connection and also at the starter connection.could the switch and solenoid be bad.
Also checked the wire at the magneto connection no cuts.