LX255 transmission problem, where to find parts?

arch252

Threads
I have a 1999 LX255 with a Tuff Torq K62A transmission. I picked the mower up pretty cheap because the transmission has issues. Based on the info I got from the seller and how I've seen the transmission respond I did some research and I believe that one or both cylinder blocks need to be replaced. I haven't opened the transmission yet so I don't know for sure. I have worked on other hydrostatic transaxles with bad differential gears and I'm pretty sure that is not the problem I have with this transmission.

I plan to open up the transmission this week and I was trying to get a head start tonight so I would be ready to order the cylinder blocks once I determine if that is the problem. I can't find any parts for that transmission. I found a parts diagram on the Tuff Torq website but it does not appear as though they sell the replacement cylinder blocks, only a rebuild kit, and that was not even priced so I don't know if they carry it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

arch252

Threads
Thanks Mark. I had already been to their site and registered. I did not see that they sold just the cylinder blocks separately, only a complete rebuild kit with both cylinder blocks and the charge pump, the kit was over $450, no thanks! I'll go back and recheck and make sure I can't get a single cylinder block. I opened up the transaxle today and all the gears were great, one cylinder block was great but the other had 4 of the 6 pistons with way too much play in them so my hunch was correct and I will need to replace the one cylinder block.

There was a very small amount of chewed up metal, not aluminum, in the differential gears. I inspected the gears and the final drive very closely and they were free of any defects. I have no idea where that metal came from so I don't know what might be damaged or what I might be missing. Also, the pin that drops into charge pump was stuck to the magnet beside the brake rotor. I don't know the significance of that little pin and I didn't think it was supposed to be able to move from the pump side to the gear side, I thought those sides were sealed separately.

Any common problems that might tip anyone off as to the source of the metal shavings?

In case it's not painfully obvious, I'm an amateur with just enough knowledge to make me dangerous.