Lubricate wheel drive gears?

texaseast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello-
First, thanks for letting me join this forum and post a question.

Second, I have a Toro 22" Recycler Personal Pace lawnmower. My question is about the drive wheels. I removed one just to look at the gears. The gears and the bolt which serves as the axle for the wheels were very dry. There was some crusty dark goop of some sort at the edges of the small (pinion?) drive gear. The wheel gear was dry, and slightly pocked with rust. I believe that both gears are steel. Do these gears need lubrication - grease? If so, what type of grease or lube? How about the bolt that is the axle for the wheel?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, do not apply lube to the gears. The lube will attract dirt which will cause the gears to wear faster.

texaseast

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering about grease holding dirt and causing abrasion. Would some dry graphite on the wheel bolt axles be appropriate?

Your disclaimer says - in your words - that you are "only a retired grease monkey instructor" but I see by your name that you are "Lawn Royalty", an accolade and office even higher than professional mechanic; therefore you are well qualified to answer my question.

Thanks!!

texaseast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again. May your royal kingdom grow strong and prosper!