LTX1050 just quit

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of two possibles if you only getting to run position and it blowing fuses.

1> Short in headlight wiring harness. I have seen a lot of these harness melts at the muffler area.
2> Carburetor fuel solenoid shorted.

Now of course it can any where in between the ignition switch and these areas as mice loves to chew on the wires causing shorts. Also note this assumes the PTO switch is off.

mark abby

Threads
So I was able to spend a little time today with the tractor. The fuse was blown. Unfortunately the replacement blew as soon as I turned the key. Any suggestions on were to look for a short?
try unplugging any thing, PTO, lights, etc, one at a time and check fuse each time

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a trick I use to use. Temporarily replace the fuse with 12v light bulb. It will light brightly until the short is removed. I use a 120 VAC incandescent light bulb on what is now very old calcualators to find the shorts to keep from burning up expensive chemical fuses. Same idea here. The light will limit the overall current and keep from burning up the wiring harness and switches.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do the same but use an old headlamp globe from the truck that has one blown element

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There you go, saves a lot of otherwise blown fuses while hunting a short.
I bought a stack of those replacement blade fuse breakers which are in the mobile tool box because they are small
Fine for fault finding but fall apart if left in the mower which I found out the hard way .

bobvan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey StarTech, you hit the nail on the head! It was a melted headlight wire. Gotta love these easy fixes.

tvaughn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I was mowing earlier and my tractor just abruptly quit running. Now nothing happens when I turn the key. Any words of wisdom were to start to find the problem?

Bob
I am assuming you mean no crank not no start. If nothing happens when you turn key to start, check fuses and wiring to the starter. Do you have a test light or VOM? You should have 12 volts DC at the starter and at the exciter wire of the selenoid when the key is in the start position. If not, track the wire back to the ignition. Look for loose or broken wire. The ignition switch could also be bad. You should see 12 Volts the switch wire going to the selenoid when the switch is in the start position.