LTX 1040

fayjim2

Threads
Why does the pto for the blades wind up faster when the deck is higher ? Belt and pto linkage are ok. The deck height system seems to me to be the culprit. Rather than lift system lifting the deck straight up keeping belt tension equal regardless of position. When raising it moves the deck to the rear increasing belt tension., thus spinning faster? So am I full of it or is this justb a feature with no fix Help

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Worn belt are usually the culript but I wish posters would just learn the post the actual model numbers. The LTX1040 came with two different 42" cut decks. Early models had a two belt system and later one had the single belt version.

fayjim2

Threads
So what should I check out. The belt has some wear but it works just fine in the higher settings . I guess I need to know why the deck doesn,t raise straight up rather than moving up and to the rear?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On most decks the middle height position had the belt & engine pulleys aligned on the same plane
Thus the distance between them is the shortest
Raising or lowering the deck moves the pulleys out os alignment so the distance between them increases
Increasing the distance naturally increases the belt tension thus the friction between the belt & the pulley so the blades spin up faster
As Star has already mentioned you should not be able to notice this so either your tensioner arm is not applying enough tension, the belts are worn, the pulleys are worn or there is a bad bearing in the system

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So what should I check out. The belt has some wear but it works just fine in the higher settings . I guess I need to know why the deck doesn,t raise straight up rather than moving up and to the rear?
It is because the stabilier deck arms are hinged to the frame toward the forward. It is standing with a door open. As you close the door the non hinged side comes closer to you. Quite noticeable. But with deck is only dropping a few inches so move slight forward as it is lowered. Most rider are like this. ZTRs uses a different style of lift system and they are for the part raise vertically with much if any rearward movement. The spring load idler arm normally takes up the slack or gives when the tension increases keeping the belt tension the same but there limits to how much they can adjust for.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When is the last time your replaced the deck belt.
also post your model number , it'll be on a sticker on the bottom of the seat.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think Bolens before their first take over was the last company who made a deck that lifts square
And that was an all day job to fit a new deck belt .
Both the locally made decks lift as a parallelogram all of the USA decks lift in an arc because it is cheaper to make them like that .
As previously mentioned , the tension pulley is there to take up the slack and the usual reason is the tension system is weak .
The springs get weaker over time, the pivot hole flogs out oval and the pulleys all wear plus the belts wear thin & go slack on the pulleys
While the deck mounts can also flog out oval their effect is no where near as pronounced as wear in the drive system itself .