Lt2000 wont start

Binky Tremain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lt2000 was running fine. Mowed lawn, then stopped briefly. Went to start it and wont turn over. There is an odd, high pitch sound that seems to be coming from under the seat when I turn the key. It doesn’t sound like a spinning starter, and the sound doesn’t seem to emanate from the starter. Thoughts?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
that is the starter solenoid making that noise.... It's isn't getting enough voltage. It could be a bad battery, Low battery, Loose ground connection at the battery or frame, or a lose positive connection at the terminal or solenoid.
check all of those for tightness and cleanliness. or your valves need adjusted on the engine...
Do you have a volt meter?
I'm going to steal a trick that i first heard from Bert, if you have jumper cables, hook the positive to the + on the battery, and the ground to the - on the battery, other end of the - cable to a good clean ground on the mower... drain plug, bolt, etc. and then touch the + lead to the starter terminal, see if it will crank. expect some sparks. your starter should look similar to this one i posted a picture of, you'll see where the positive wire should touch.
also post all identification numbers, there will be a mower model number under the seat, should start with 917.xxxxxxx or sometimes another 3 digits. and post the engine Make and we'll tell you where to find your Engine model #
1627780539881.png

Binky Tremain

Forum Newbie
Threads
that is the starter solenoid making that noise.... It's isn't getting enough voltage. It could be a bad battery, Low battery, Loose ground connection at the battery or frame, or a lose positive connection at the terminal or solenoid.
check all of those for tightness and cleanliness. or your valves need adjusted on the engine...
Do you have a volt meter?
I'm going to steal a trick that i first heard from Bert, if you have jumper cables, hook the positive to the + on the battery, and the ground to the - on the battery, other end of the - cable to a good clean ground on the mower... drain plug, bolt, etc. and then touch the + lead to the starter terminal, see if it will crank. expect some sparks. your starter should look similar to this one i posted a picture of, you'll see where the positive wire should touch.
also post all identification numbers, there will be a mower model number under the seat, should start with 917.xxxxxxx or sometimes another 3 digits. and post the engine Make and we'll tell you where to find your Engine model #
View attachment 57729
Model number is 247.288851.

I had replaced the solenoid a couple of years ago, and it’s in a bugger of a spot to work on, so maybe it worked itself loose.

I did the trick you mentioned, and all I get is spark…no crank.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also try rotating the engine by hand. It may be a stuck starter pinion gear. I had my first metal starter pinion gear to replace recently that was jamming in flywheel steel ring gear. KInda rare for this to happen but it does. I had the 593635 pinion on hand for 5 yrs before a customer jammed one.

If you still have the 331877-0869-G5 Briggs its IPL shows still steel pinion gear setup.

Binky Tremain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Success! The starter gear head was binding against the flywheel. Ill try to attach a photo. Didn't notice til I zoomed in on the picture, but some of the teeth on the flywheel appear to be damaged.

Anyway….thanks to everyone for the help.