LT1000 won't start with key

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone!
My mower will not start without jumping the starter.

My battery is good.
I can jump start the starter with jumper cables and it fires right up and runs fine.
When I turn the key: nothing
How do I test if my key switch is bad?
I tried taking off the connector to the key switch, and jumping the ground and starter wires: nothing
Taking connector off and jumping from the connector ground and the starter wire AFTER the solenoid (or coil? under the gas tank, unsure of the name): turns over fine.
Is it absolutely my coil/solenoid whatever that mess of wires is under the gas tank?

I have a John Deere that is doing the exact same thing. I can't figure either one of them out.... Any ideas?

I have all the necessary tools, including an ohm meter.

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've manually pressed down the brake and mower safety switches and still nothing. The tractor will "click" when I turn the key to start but nothing else. If I touch that box with all the wires on it under the gas tank, that is what is "clicking". Is that a relay? What is the correct term for it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 'key' switch applies 12 volts, NOT ground to the starter solenoid.
When you turn the 'key' switch to off it applies ground to the magneto to kill the engine...

In the run position it likely applies 12 volts to the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb.

Take a picture of the item you are referring to that is under the fuel tank.. post it an we can see what you have... :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
that little box under the fuel tank is most likely the starter solenoid. if it clicks when the key is in the start position then most likely the the safety switches are all good and you need to replace the starter solenoid.

Blloyd29

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a new solenoid today, I hope to get enough time to put it in later and I will get back to you.
I recently picked up 3 riding lawnmowers that ALL have the same problem. Is it common for these solenoids to go out from sitting out in the weather?