Loud grinding noise

Poppie51

Threads
Hi, I have a Craftsman 6 speed, 14.5 hp model 917.270532 riding lawnmower. It runs great but when it is placed in any gear it makes a loud grinding noise. It first started making the noise when making left hand turns. While making a left turn it would grind but going straight or making right turns It was fine. It did this for about three or four turns then got to where it would barely move forward or backwards while still making the grinding noise. I removed the transmission to look inside, expecting to find metal shavings everywhere but to my surprise I did not find any shavings. Everything looked to be in great shape. It also had plenty of grease. I inspected the drive pulleys and they look fine. I also replaced the drive belt but that did not make a difference. I am not sure the grinding noise is coming from the transmission but there aren't many parts dealing with the drive mechanism that would cause such a noise. At first I was sure the transmission was shot but after inspecting the inside and everything looking as good as it does makes me wonder if there is something I am overlooking. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem? Thanks

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have someone sit on it & do the same, while you are on the side of the trans axle & listen for the noise there..

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes bearings in idler pulleys spin free with no noise with no load but can be bad. Check the idlers very carefully.
Does it make the noise with the clutch depressed and trans in gear? Does it make the noise with trans in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Easy way to test trans is jack up the rear on jack stands. Run it through all the gears. Any noises with it should be duplicated.

Same for steering. Jack up the front and crank the wheel lock to lock.