Lost reverse and stuck in gears

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a one year old Poulan riding mower Model#PO18542LT and originally transmission wouldn't go into reverse. Now can't find neutral. I have tried to adjust the selection lever as described in the owners manual but this hasn't worked. I can move the selector manually using a pry bar but can't seem to find the neutral position. HELP!:frown:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
is it a 6sp or auto?......does it make noises when you try to shift?...is your warranty good...if it is they wont want you messing with it.....tell us what you find:smile:

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
is it a 6sp or auto?......does it make noises when you try to shift?...is your warranty good...if it is they wont want you messing with it.....tell us what you find:smile:
It doesn't make any noises, no gears grinding, no rubbing sounds anything out of the ordinary. It is a 6 speed. The warranty expired 2 weeks before this happened. Yeah 2 weeks before, so no warranty.:frown: Anyway I have been able to gently force it into another gear. The selector arm is not bent, and I have no neutral. I got it into reverse, but once I move it out of reverse it will not go back into reverse without gentle persuasion. As matter of fact once I up shift I can not down shift using the selector with out it be extremely difficult. The mower was bought new 1 year and 1 1/2 months ago from local Poulan dealer. The number I have is PO18542LT.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you can take the back hitch cover off....its only 4 bolts..9/16 i think...you will see the tranny and linkage..make sure the lever on the tranny is moving when you shift.....whats your transmission maker and number#??...i fear its an internal thing... but lets check everything first!:wink:

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
if you can take the back hitch cover off....its only 4 bolts..9/16 i think...you will see the tranny and linkage..make sure the lever on the tranny is moving when you shift.....whats your transmission maker and number#??...i fear its an internal thing... but lets check everything first!:wink:

It is a Peerless transmission, found these numbers hopefuully they tell us something, "011613-0549", and H m5 2065452"

The lever on the tranny is moving when shifting, Finally got it out of one gear but it'll up shift. Found reverse and neutral should be one click up. Well guess what I go one click up and it's 1st gear. Is it time now to bring out the 8 pound sledge hammer? :wink:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
when you find neutral...try to put shift lever back to original spot....i hate to say it but..it sounds like something broke off inside and is jamming the gears...or the shift forks are bent...got any pictures?

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was actually wondering that from the start if something hadn't cam loose inside. I didnt hear any clanging, gears moaning, so hopefully it won't be a costly repair. Does any one know where I can get an "exploded view" of the parts in this Peerless tranny? Or where I can locate parts for it? I'll try repair myself first then go for lawn repair shop if that doesn't work out.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i looked up your tranny numbers and couldnt find anything...is there any others?