Looking for something with Low CG

pennyanguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently have an ariens YT-12 great machine...but its getting kinda long in the tooth, and I am thinking of looking for something a bit heavier duty that i can pull some wieght with, maybe plow snow...BUT...I live on the side of a hill and LOVE the low CG the YT has......any ideas on what to look for in the $1K-$1500 range (used of course) that is Hydro (I love the hydro) and a low CG. All the machines I look at seem to have the seat 4' high...I find it uncomfortable to be that high:confused2:..I dont have much lawn so 38-42" mower works fine.

Thanks for any advise!

Slater

Threads

Jetblast

Threads
I've never seen an otherwise standard lawn tractor with as low a seating position as an Ariens YT12. Given the budget, I'd suggest buying the best mower you can find within it and developing a decent hang-off-the-seat riding style for the trickiest parts of the lawn. I always had to do a full Kenny Roberts when I mowed my ditch banks on my lawn tractor, but I got it done. There may be style points involved.

brianbrowning

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good suggestions for some of what he is asking. I have a Ventrac 3223D Compact Tractor which is an awesome unit, but if you are looking for $1k-$1.5k I think its a bit out of your price range :biggrin:

Hi folks, first post. I'm also looking for something that will handle a significant slope. What do you mean by "bit out of your price range?" I can go higher than 1500 but the videos on their website make them look like 20K tractors.

Thansk,
Brian

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi folks, first post. I'm also looking for something that will handle a significant slope. What do you mean by "bit out of your price range?" I can go higher than 1500 but the videos on their website make them look like 20K tractors.

Thansk,
Brian

Look in the Ventrac Forums - there are some prices there and someimes you can find them used. Also think about the fact that you can use quite a few attachments and eliminate the need for extra machines. If you can manage to swing it -- you won't regret it !

Slater

Threads

Thansk,
Brian

Remember that these are commercial grade compact tractors, you don't get these at HD or Lowes :smile:. So while the largest unit with a mower deck might be 20k, the smallest one may be 10 or 11k with a mower deck, still built for commercial use. If you can utilize them with all of the attachments they more than pay for themselves. At home I use the slip scoop (moving mulch with it is especially great, saves a ton of back work for me!) mower, and blade for snow. One engine to maintain that runs year round is really nice too!:biggrin: I bought a few of the attachments at different times, but it cost me around $11k for the tractor and attachments.

Honestly it is too much for what many people need, but there isn't a tractor out there that will mow the slopes that these can (especially safely) with their versatility. My unit is the smaller model unit (3000 Series) vs the larger unit (4000 Series) Some people only mow slopes with them and they pay for themselves there as well especially with how safe they are and their minimal turf damage. Now you see why when pennyanguy said $1k to $1.5k I said it may be a "bit out of his price range." They are expensive tractors especially if you only think of them for mowing a small plot of flat land, where the value really comes in is with there versatility and quality. They are built to last! Made in America and I guarantee you mine will last longer than my lifetime. :thumbsup:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the SURPRISE Thread in the Ventrac Forum