Looking for first rider mower…We have about a half to 3/4 acre lawn front and back…

Bigell29

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking for first rider mower…We have about a half to 3/4 acre lawn front and back…
Looking for my first rider mower, too much to walk a mower but just enough to justify buying a rider mower. Just a couple slight incline/declines in the front and around the septic mound. Only one big tree to go around. I’m looking at a few used mowers in my area (Pennsylvania). A Craftsman LT1000 for $800, Troybilt Pony for $700. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Born2Mow

Threads
  • / Looking for first rider mower…We have about a half to 3/4 acre lawn front and back…
Just a couple slight incline/declines in the front and around the septic mound. Only one big tree to go around. I’m looking at a few used mowers in my area (Pennsylvania).
• "Zero Turn" mowers typically don't like to traverse inclines, especially around lakes and other dangers. You'd need to limit your travel to strictly up and down paths. This because ZT's can/will loose traction on the 2 wheels that matter and start to slide. But they can really make a difference if you have a flat-ish yard with lot of trees to go around.

• So you're proabably looking for a 30/32 inch "garden tractor" style mower. Most of these are built by MTD and simply rebranded as J Deere, Ariens, Husqvarna, Craftsman, and 30 others. (You'll see the similarity when you look for it.) These are fairly reliable, but to me the main drawback is cutting heights. From the driver's seat it may look like there are 6+ cutting heights, but if you get down and measure there's typically only 3 to 4 useable. If you have a specialty lawn and really care about the mowing height, then keep looking. Otherwise, rate by seat comfort and price.

• Look for something with a name brand engine: Kawasaki, Honda, B&S, Kohler, etc. Chinese engines are common and I would steer you away from those based on parts availability in 4 years.

• I would also suggest you steer clear of "electric mowers" of any brand. There are always battery problems of some description that turn up in 18 months.

bartles

Threads
Looking for my first rider mower, too much to walk a mower but just enough to justify buying a rider mower. Just a couple slight incline/declines in the front and around the septic mound. Only one big tree to go around. I’m looking at a few used mowers in my area (Pennsylvania). A Craftsman LT1000 for $800, Troybilt Pony for $700. Any advice would be appreciated!!!
If those mowers have at least 42-48" cut width then consider : What goes wrong with the models you are considering generally are: Deck rust, belts, idlers, pulleys, and blade spindles. If you are capable of replacing these parts then for $200-$400 you can have a mower that will last you for a lot of seasons. If the engine and transmission seem to be in good condition then those models will serve you well.

Bigell29

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I pulled the trigger on the 2017 Troybilt for $700..so far so good

bartles

Threads
Alrighty then!!! Find an owner's manual and be sure to keep the wheel bearings and steering linkage greased(if equipped with zerks). Use fuel treatment regardless if you use gasoline with ethanol or not, keep the air cleaner clean and change the oil per the manual. Keep the blade side of the deck free of grass build up.

Congratulations, as football season begins you will have more time to catch a game!!