Looking at buying a Commerical Walk -behind mower

JasonB

Threads
Hi

I am looking at buying a "Commerical" Walk-behind mower with a 36 or 48" deck this Spring for mowing ditch banks that are too steep for a rider and would take to long with a regular pushmower or a weedwacker.

The ditch banks are rough which get up to as steep as a 45% slope in some places, but want something that is stable enough to cut grass on a slope this steep. Anyone have any experence running a Commerical Walk behind on slopes? I got one customer that has a half an acre of ditch banks to cut, which I am currently using a Front Mower to cut, but it gets tricky in areas as well I am wanting to sell the Front Mower in the Spring as I bought a 2305 Deere, but really don't want to put it on these Slopes as they are rough going. The Front Mower works ok, but really thats all I use it for But I want something a bit safer for cutting these ditch banks as the mower sits up a little high.

Was wondering what Commerical Walk -behind was bested suited for this type of work?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sickle mowers are about the simplest to use on a bank... it all depends on how accessible they are and how easily you can get to it either along the top or along the bottom... or both.

Steep banks are always a problem, any wheel driven equipment with any weight, will tend to 'crab' running on a sloped angle... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kenny's right any wheel driven equipment with any weight, will tend to 'crab' running on a sloped angle. I do a lot of pond areas where slopes are or may not be as bad as you're describing and I use a 36" belt driven walk behind and in runs about 460lbs with a 13hp kawasaki and I have never had any problems. I've never found any slopes I haven't been able to cut with it.