Looking at a ZTR but have a sloped yard

Jim Lahey

Threads
Hi all, Ive read so much conflicting information on ZTR mowers and sloped yards. Its hard to understand sometimes because some of the forum information is old and Im wondering if newer models have rectified some of the old issues regarding ZTRs and slopes.

Most of the yard is gentle slope but some spots approach what I think is about 15 degrees or so. A local lawn mower shop has a RZT 50 KW Club Cadet for sale. I like the idea of these since Im looking to shave mow time off of my 1.5 acre mow. I also like the comfort of how I sit in these relative to the traditional steering wheel tractors. Here are a few images of my yard, from different perspectives if it helps to visualize the slope. If anyone could provide insight, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Engagementday022-1.jpg

Engagementday014.jpg

DeersofYork008-1.jpg

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Although I'm not an owner, Ventracs seem to be famous for their ability to handle slopes. I'm sure BKBrown will soon reccomend one. I'd give them a look-see, or pm him and ask him about them.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
twall is right, I love my Ventrac - Check out the Ventrac Forum and http://ventrac.com/

These machines are NOT cheap (either inexpensive or cheaply made), but they will do much more than mow lawn ! :thumbsup:

Jim Lahey

Threads
BK can you tell me a bit more? Im looking to mow the yard, haul deadwood, and plow snow. I know the ZTR doesnt do most of those things, but I was thinking about buying a used ATV for that anyway. But Id be interested in what Ventrac product would suit my residential usage requirements so that I can least call a dealer and price it out, what do you think? The closest dealer to me is about 90 minutes away so Im not sure how that would work for service. But I still want to look into it.

I have a locally owned shop down the street from my house that has Cub Cadet and Toro ZTRs and I know they can go fast and really cut down mow time. I have several large trees with ornamental pavers around them for design and a large wood deck to cut around on this property. Thanks.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments Check out the web site !

This Tractor will do all you mentioned and more. I'm sure they could work out delivery. They would probably bring one to you and demonstrate it !
As for service, if you can change oil and air filters, and keep it greased -- I have nearly 900 hours on mine and it has not needed to go to the shop for service !:thumbsup:

Jetblast

Threads
Cub Cadet Z-Force S. The steering wheel controls the front wheels and the hydros, so it's great on slopes. The only limit is the ability of the front and rear tires to hold the grade without the whole thing sliding sideways, like any regular mower, tractor, or ATV would do.

For 1.5 acres I think you'll find them at the right price point.

Steering Wheel Control Zero-Turn Riders

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If that is all the slope your going to mow ... almost any ZTR will work fine on 15 degrees...
The Ventrac is a goos machine as is the Hustler or several other commercial or industrial mowers...

The biggest question is what do you want to spend on this??
3to 5k, 5to 8k, 10k, up to 15k, to 20k or a ZTR cab model that will run a snow blower and various styles of mower decks and front mounted attachments... that will run well over 30k+...

If your just looking for a very will built ZTR look at the Hustler Zeon... at 5k, it will handle your mowing like no other ZTR... YouTube - Hustler ZEON All-Electric mower
It all depends on what your looking for... :smile:KennyV

Ventrac

Threads
If that is all the slope your going to mow ... almost any ZTR will work fine on 15 degrees...
The Ventrac is a goos machine as is the Hustler or several other commercial or industrial mowers...

The biggest question is what do you want to spend on this??
3to 5k, 5to 8k, 10k, up to 15k, to 20k or a ZTR cab model that will run a snow blower and various styles of mower decks and front mounted attachments... that will run well over 30k+...

If your just looking for a very will built ZTR look at the Hustler Zeon... at 5k, it will handle your mowing like no other ZTR... YouTube - Hustler ZEON All-Electric mower
It all depends on what your looking for... :smile:KennyV

Good morning everyone! Kenny is correct. If you are only doing 15 degrees then most Z-turn will do and I don't want to try to sell something to you that you may not need. What are you currently mowing your lawn with and how much time does it take? Our 4000 Series model may be a bit overkill for your needs unless you are looking to do more things down the road like tilling, trenching, etc. I would maybe check out our 3000 Series which can handle a good slope as well (can't put duals on it though) and is at a lower price point and size. It is AWD and has a lot of pushing power for moving snow, bucket for hauling logs or a 2inch receiver in the back for hooking up a trailer to haul things as well. Again, I don't want to sell you something you don't need, but if you are looking at a ZTR and an ATV to do some of those things, I would strongly recommend calling your closest dealer that you found on our Dealer Locator and have them come give you a demo! Never know till you try it whether it will fit your needs perfectly or be more than you need.

Hope this helps, good luck! :thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I don't see how that kind of slope would be any kind of issue for any lawn tractor...

Please forgive me if I'm wrong!

Jim Lahey

Threads
Wow what a great forum, you guys are awesome.

I run on an old John Deere and it takes me about 1.5 hours to mow. Id like to cut that time in Half. Ventrac, thanks for weighing in. I do nothing other than plow and mow (and haul chopped wood about 150 feet in a straight line to my wood shed). My budget for all of these things is about $6000 CDN total. So initially I thought I would just get a ZTR because they are famous for saving time, and get an ATV for the hauling and plowing just because its fun to have another toy :p

So in this respect, I think the Ventrac 3000 series and its plow and mower attachments bring me way above budget, and really, isnt that machine overkill for what I need? Plus service is an issue. I live in the Niagara Region in Ontario Canada so Im not sure there are service sites close by. Id like to hear your opinion Ventrac. Thanks again.

I just wanted to make this thread because of all of the "no ZTR on slopes" stuff Ive read but a lot of you seem to think my current yard might be just fine, which is encouraging.