Lifetime Deck Warranty

Kenneth Brock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked the mower upat Johnson's ACE Hardware, Wellford SC 29385
864 539-3485. They said that Husqvarna would not honor the lifetime deck warranty. This is the second deck failure. I owned a Murray for 14 years and a Ariens for 8 years with no issues cutting the same lawn . WTF.
I Purchased a TS 348 Lawn tractor new on 8-26-2019 with a lifetime mower deck warranty from Johnson's ACE Hardware,10409 E Greenville HWY, Wellford SC 29385,
Registered it that day with Husqvarna. Model 960430230 00, ser # 121917A001120.
The small protection moon shaped metal piece at mower deck ejection area broke loose in Nov 2020. The piece of metal wrapped up blades and severely damage mower deck. I was told by Husqvarna to take it to where I purchased it.
Ed at Husqvarna Warranty dept was contacted by Ace Hardware store and warranty repair was turned down.
I was stuck with a over $1,400 repair bill.

I dropped of the mower again 12 May 23 with exact same break in weld. I stopped before major damaged occurred. I can not believe that I am going to have to buy another deck within 4 years of purchase. I will pursue reimbursement...no luck last time. Beware of B.S. warranties.

poncho144

Threads
I have a TS 354 D w/Life Warranty and wondered IF it is worth a dam, now I know.
What was their excuse for refusal? Did they claim it was abused?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most warranties are written by lawyers so nothing is covered, just a worthless piece of paper.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
About the only thing I can think of that would be covered under the lifetime warranty would be definitive lack of fusion on a weld. Any tearing around a weld or cracking could be determined to be abuse or incidental damage.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is sorta like a lifetime modem I tried claiming on. They change to a lifetime of the product warranty. Otherwords when quit making it they no longer honor the warranties.

I do see a lot weld failures that are caused by welding only on one side of the joint. And where the welded area just breaks right the edge of the weld.

And a lot of the warranties only cover workmanship and not the product itself.

upupandaway

Threads
And a lot of the warranties only cover workmanship and not the product itself.
Oh yeah, when you read the wording they only warrant that they put it together correctly. What is the point of a LW? Either u got it assembled correctly or not, but it is a good sales pitch when the buyer doesn't know it doesn't cover what they THINK it covers and buys it.

In the past, Echo's "5 year 'warranty' " didn't cover labor. They even denied me the part let alone labor. Again - good sales fraud.. I mean pitch...

ps. Kenneth Brock - I got shafted on a bicycle. Same thing- "lifetime warranty" NOT!!! Good decoration when at the store.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh yeah, when you read the wording they only warrant that they put it together correctly. What is the point of a LW? Either u got it assembled correctly or not, but it is a good sales pitch when the buyer doesn't know it doesn't cover what they THINK it covers and buys it.

In the past, Echo's "5 year 'warranty' " didn't cover labor. They even denied me the part let alone labor. Again - good sales fraud.. I mean pitch...
Echo was another one of the graduated warranties that only covered certain parts or items out to 5 years. I think the ignition module without labor was the only item covered for the last year. But people would see the 5 year warranty, and think it covers everything for 5 years, even their negligence.

Look up the handheld warranty policy for MTD handheld. and read the what is excluded or not covered, and you will be wondering what is covered. Lets just say it includes spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, starter handle, starter rope, starter pulley, starter spring, inner spool, outer spool, bump head, bump knob.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the ignition module without labor was the only item covered for the last year.
Yes, used to be Lifetime on ign module a while back, & you can NOT install the ign module. Dealer tech must,so open the wallet.

Not complaining. my 2014 Shindaiwa Edger & 2014 Echo leaf blower are still running like new.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes, used to be Lifetime on ign module a while back, & you can NOT install the ign module. Dealer tech must,so open the wallet.

Not complaining. my 2014 Shindaiwa Edger & 2014 Echo leaf blower are still running like new.
Most warranties on products are for manufacturers defects. Remember, any gray area, or wiggle room will usually go in favor of the manufacturer and dealer, not customer. Not really sure why so many people get excited and have faith in warranties, period. Same goes for insurance. People will buy “product protection/extended warranty” on $20 grinders. I have personally NEVER taken advantage of any warranty on anything in my entire life.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes local dealers has policies in place just so they can charge the customer for warranty work. I even charge the customer upfront for warranty work but I do reimburse them when I get reimbursed. It only because OEM will deny coverage a lot of the time. Customers don't like it but it is the way things has to be. I had only one customer to want warranty coverage but they refuse provide proof when they brought the unit so I just took a pass on it.

A couple years I had couple bad ignition coils under warranty per Kohler tech support. I told just get the local to make them up. Well one would not because he sell the equipment and couple others wanted me to drag in the equipment so could charge me a service call fee just to verify the coils were bad. It is bad shops don't trust shops diagnosis.

Well it ended with me selling the customer a pair of coils at cost and I installed them for no labor charge. Of course the dealer lost the profit the Kohler reimburses them for the parts.

Now the customer comes regularly for repair work even when it is still under warranty where he brought it. Of course now we have a verbal agreement that I will charge labor for items under warranty but parts will be at cost.

At least HFT does honor their warranties. Recently I brought a 800 lb transmission jack. First one failed right out the box. Second one failed about two before the 90 days wer up. Since it was taking longer than expected on getting a replacement 1E60 I did go with the extension up to a year just in case of another failure before I got the replacement installed. But yes I normally don't purchase the extended warranties either.