Repairs Left side hydro/Transaxle jerky forward & reverse

JayGross

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I have just recent acquired an Ariens 1742 & the left side wheel jerks bad forward & reverse. Sometimes it won't even go in reverse until I put the right side in reverse as well to get the mower rolling backwards & then the left will kick in, but it is very jerky. It feels like I am riding on a square wheel. Right side is fine. I checked the fluid level & it seems to be correct, about an inch or hair more from the top of the fill hole. Anyone had this problem? I do not want to replace the entire left transaxle if not needed. Thank you!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bleed the hydro. Raise back wheels off the ground. Start mower with hydros in bypass mode. Move the levers forward for 10 seconds and reverse for 10 sec 5 times. Move hydros out of bypass mode and repeat.

JayGross

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bleed the hydro. Raise back wheels off the ground. Start mower with hydros in bypass mode. Move the levers forward for 10 seconds and reverse for 10 sec 5 times. Move hydros out of bypass mode and repeat.
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow. I vacuumed sucked all of the fluid out & changed it today & seems to be a lot better but it does jerk a bit. I'll try your method tomorrow & let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

JayGross

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I finally got time to try this, but it didn't help. Thank you for advising me as to how to bleed the hydro's though. I just don't get it. Fluid height is correct. I definitely am not sinking money into a new or even a used hydro for it though. Maybe I'll try taking it apart when I get time. I have a personal full service ATV garage so I should be able to figure out what's wrong with it. If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to comment! Thank you!

Deerlane

Threads
Remove trany and remove the side with all the screw, then replace the pump and motor inside. I put the axle in a vice so the cover with screw you will remove is up.