lawnmower that takes 40 volts to get started

kraaashman45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a mtd yard machine lawnmower that takes 20 battery charges with over 24 volts each to start it wad wondering if there was a way I could fix this or what the problem was with it

chance123

Threads
I have a mtd yard machine lawnmower that takes 20 battery charges with over 24 volts each to start it wad wondering if there was a way I could fix this or what the problem was with it

More than likely you have fried your battery. You are only supposed to charge with a 12 v charger, not 24 v.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What in the world do you have for a charger? I have worked with commercial electric fork truck chargers which were 24 and 36 volts but they would be way too large for a 12 volt mower battery. I am going to say its time for a new starter and battery or just maybe you don't know what you are talking about??? The only thing I can think of to get 40 volts out of a lawn mower battery is if it has a short in the battery but have never seen it or I don't understand just what you are doing.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mr Kraaashman, Current is what is released to the starter (or any wire ) to perform work. Voltage is patiently waiting for a completed circuit to provide current.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you applied 40V to your system, I would agree with reynoldston that you have fried both your battery and your starter. The only way you could get that voltage is if you hooked your chargers in series. If you did hook them up in series, you would have fry the wiring very fast.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perhaps Mr Kraaashman has used a wheeled auto quick start charger which has several settings and warnings about current vs time. I don't think one of these should be used on a small capacity tractor battery. The 28 volt systems are on aircraft, among others, I think.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I shall explain what he means.

His battery was dead so he hooked his charger up set to 40 amps and it took him 20 turns of they key to get it to crank.

So now he needs to post his engine model numbers so y'all can look it up. And get him running again

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If he means that he went out and got 20 chargers set them all at 24 volts and hooked then up he would not have been able to make this post.

I am going to be nice and not say he should not work on a mower

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just have a feeling that Kraaashman doesn't know very much about mower battery's and battery chargers. He must have his Amps and volts mixed up. I am going to suggest he take his battery out and have it tested. Also just make sure all the cable connections are all clean .

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
yep same wavelength