LawnBoy GoldPro Series 10550 Engine problem

GoldFishDude

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a model 10550 GoldPro Series mower that I bought new. Today as I was mowing, it made a loud noise like I had run over something and the engine quit. I checked under the deck and found that I had not run over anything. Now, when I go to pull the rope to start it, it will not let me move the rope at all. I can move the blade from underneath but it is very difficult. Where do I start to look to see if this is worth fixing? Help!

lewb

Threads
I have a model 10550 GoldPro Series mower that I bought new. Today as I was mowing, it made a loud noise like I had run over something and the engine quit. I checked under the deck and found that I had not run over anything. Now, when I go to pull the rope to start it, it will not let me move the rope at all. I can move the blade from underneath but it is very difficult. Where do I start to look to see if this is worth fixing? Help!

I think your connecting rod bearing let go. A new short block is roughly 100.00 on ebay which is way cheaper than buying parts to rebuild and also cheaper than buying a new mower. I had a dura-force let go on me, but the mower I bought was sitting on a slavage yard for several years. I figured the bearing rusted. In my video you see what it does to the internals.

Installing short block on 10547 or 10525 Lawn boy - YouTube

3053free

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think its possible the engine brake is actuated. Its intended to stop your engine promptly when you shut it off.

GoldFishDude

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the easiest way to tell which it is?

impalass

Threads
What is the easiest way to tell which it is?
Remove the spark plug and turn the blade by hand and see if the piston moves. If it moves take of the shroud and check to see if the brake is working properly.