Export thread

Lawn furniture

T

Twinkle

Just wondering what type of furniture you have out on your lawn. I would really like a swing seat but hubby isn't so keen. I suppose he is right in thinking that the unpredictable weather would make it difficult to keep it dry. (I would want something with fabric and padding!)

A

AndyMan

Our swing seat is on our back deck, and gets lots of use. I've been thinking of building a picnic table in the shade of some elms.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Just wondering what type of furniture you have out on your lawn. I would really like a swing seat but hubby isn't so keen

I have one that hangs from a live oak limb. It's made from pressure treated 4x4's and deck boards. I did not build it, but it has been there for over 6 years and I was sitting on it this morning. It collects leaves and acorns which accellorate the rot.
I imagine it is quite heavy and somewhat of a liability as someday it will fail if I don't remove it first. It has no pads but those could be obtained.
Sitting on the ground is not quite as relaxing as a swing but...your on the ground, not in the air:thumbsup:

rmancini

rmancini

I have one that hangs from a live oak limb. It's made from pressure treated 4x4's and deck boards. I did not build it, but it has been there for over 6 years and I was sitting on it this morning. It collects leaves and acorns which accellorate the rot.
I imagine it is quite heavy and somewhat of a liability as someday it will fail if I don't remove it first. It has no pads but those could be obtained.
Sitting on the ground is not quite as relaxing as a swing but...your on the ground, not in the air:thumbsup:

I'm not sure that rot will ever be a problem since your swing is made from pressure treated lumber. I have a park type bench that converts into a picnic table. It's made from pressure treated 2 x 4s and has been outside for just shy of 10 years and hasn't degraded a bit. I just spray it with bleach & water mix every now and then to remove the moss / slime.
Rich

T

Twinkle

Crikey. I think I would be worried about swinging on something attached to a tree. (I would love a hammock but have held off for the same reason.) I am inspired to build a covered deck so I can finally have comfy seating outside.

K

KennyV

Crikey. I think I would be worried about swinging on something attached to a tree.

Actually if you check your tree branches, and choose one with enough strength, so your attachment does not damage it, it should be quite safe... periodically inspect your rigging ... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

In Australia they just hang a Tyre by a rope attached to a tree branch , they make great swings for Children.:eek:

K

KennyV

In Australia they just hang a Tyre by a rope attached to a tree branch , they make great swings for Children.:eek:

Here also ... I think that may be world wide... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Here also ... I think that may be world wide... :smile:KennyV

We need a tractor tyre for us big kids Kenny.........wow what Fun.......Lol:thumbsup:

M

Manny

I've got a swing that I love in the yard, but I hardly use it because we take in the cushion every time so it doesn't get dirty, and then we are too lazy to take it back out just to sit on it. We usually just sit on a few resin chairs that are out there, and use the glass patio table quit a bit, especially when we are out there barbecuing.

S

Stevie-Ray

I've got wicker furniture on the deck and also a swing. Neither was even uncovered this year due to the time spent at the northern property. We bought 2 blue plastic Adirondack chairs for the back deck at the northern retreat and also have a redwood glider. Those chairs are so comfortable I fall asleep in them if resting from any work at all. The front of the house is tree-lined, but there's too damn many spiders for it to be agreeable to me.

G

Green Girl

I can answer this question without even thinking about it since we just spent time covering it all for winter! My husband made all our outdoor furniture from cedar and redwood. We have a picnic table, a patio table with 4 benches, and six adirondak chairs. Sad to see it all go under cover for the season!

H

Harriet

Oh, Honey-----go with the swing----you won't regret it!! I love to work in my yard but being 72 now, I have to take more rests than I used to. Nothing like sitting a spell on the swing with a cup of tea while I get up another head of steam to tackle the next thing.

M

michael b

We too have been looking for patio and yard furniture. There are so many options out there. I have not been able to find anything of great quality at a big box retailer (ie Walmart). It seems the search is never ending. Here is a good site that has some items on clearance if you are still looking, or if anyone else is in the market: Patio Furniture Clearance. According to their website, they ship as well. Hope this helps!

K

KitFox1011

I don't have much yet, but I'll be inheriting a nice picnick table from my father when he moves to arizon in a year or two. I want to get a few adirondak chairs as well.
Otherwise for now its a big old rock near my fire pit for a table and a few of those colapsable chairs :)

St8shooter

St8shooter

I was looking at a covered free-standing wooden swing built for 3 or 4. It has a bracket you can release allowing the back to lay down and it becomes a free hanging queen size bed. I think it looks great and it's only $148. but my wife is more interested in a retro looking glider. It was only $99. and in my opinion it isn't worth that much. It looks like the old style of glider that grandma had in her yard, but it is made of cheap materials more suitable for indoor apartment furniture. It's gonna rust quick and it's only built for two. Bottom line is, be sure whatever you buy can handle the environment you want to put it in.

O

Oddball

Not much actually. We've got a couple of chairs and a small table on the front porch that almost never get used. We also had our deck enlarged considerably several years ago and bought an expensive table w/umbrella, chairs and a chaise lounge and now they hardly get used either. The mosquitoes are so bad here for most of the time that the weather is comfortable for sitting outside that we rarely spend any time in the yard other than to keep it up. You just about have to take a bath in some kind of repelent to keep them off of you. Pest control company has sprayed for them, I have sprayed for them, but to no avail. We have a drainage easement that runs through the subdivision and too much wooded area throughout our neighborhood for them to breed in to be able to manage them in a cost effective manor.