Lawn edger/trencher - which is best ?

earthworm

Threads
I need an edger that works, and works well...not a wanna-be..
Does anyone make a good one at a fair price ?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Powertrim and McClane are the best but new they can be around $500. But they are usually on craigslist for around $150 in very good condition. The frame of my Powertrim is probably 20 years old or so but the engine is a 2hp Briggs from 1973. Runs perfect. If you're trying to avoid breaking the bank and don't mind it being less than super shiny brand new I would go the craigslist route.

earthworm

Threads
Powertrim and McClane are the best but new they can be around $500. But they are usually on craigslist for around $150 in very good condition. The frame of my Powertrim is probably 20 years old or so but the engine is a 2hp Briggs from 1973. Runs perfect. If you're trying to avoid breaking the bank and don't mind it being less than super shiny brand new I would go the craigslist route.

Thanks for the quick response, Snapper.....
I hope to buy one that can handle the curves of flower beds - doing this by hand takes too much time and it needs to be doine once a month.

earthworm

Threads
The Echo, $400, has one wheel and the engine at the shaft's end, like a string trimmer.
The Southland,$300, and McLane have 3 to 4 wheels and are much heavier..
Which is better ?
I have found little info on these babies..
Right now, I edge by hand, using a special shovel or a spade...effective, but hard work!
I need one that does flower beds without any concrete...as a hard surface for the power tool.

Snapperfreak

Threads
The echo thats basically a trimmer with edger-head would probably be more manueverable around your flowerbeds and other curves. But wow $400? I would still check craigslist for them and I think shindaiwa and stihl make that too. Probably could find one in excellent shape for about half that.

I'm partial to the walk behind edgers but that hand-held trimmer with one wheel at edger-head would probably work best for your situation.

earthworm

Threads
Well, I am learning about Craig's List....seems to be a good concept in merchandising used..and possibly new....via the internet...
I have several edgers, none of which are any good....maybe I want too much....for too little....I do not think that an electric one has nearly enough power....The hand edgers seem to be junk - design and build....a shovel seems to work best, but I have hundreds and hundreds of feet in edging to do...
A hand edger, tempered steel, not cast iron, slightly curved, with a decent step area may be what I need.....I may need two - one straight, one curved.

earthworm

Threads
During the past two weeks , I have learned a few things about these edgers.
For around $2K I may be able to purchase one to fill some, maybe all of my needs.
The $2K unit will have steerable wheels...is operated by pulling rather than pushing.
A $150 one without a pivot axle would have hard, difficult handing doing the curves of flower and tree beds.
So, I'll use two of them, one for straight line cuts and trenching ($150) and a second unit for the curves ($100 ?)..
Both used, of course....CL

Snapperfreak

Threads
Wow 2 grand for the one with steering?!?! I've never seen such a thing. Sounds impressive but perhaps a bit overpriced. I think your idea of buying two from cl that serve both your needs for WAY less is a good idea.

earthworm

Threads
Wow 2 grand for the one with steering?!?! I've never seen such a thing. Sounds impressive but perhaps a bit overpriced. I think your idea of buying two from cl that serve both your needs for WAY less is a good idea.

Ever notice how well manicured the lawn is when owned by a wealthy man - who also cares ?
This level of equipment must be what they own and use..And this "high level of equipment" is never advertised...the general public cannot afford it..
A pleasant surprise is how ell the cheapie edger that I use cuts the many flower beds - using brute strength to maneuver.
Maybe I will try to but that self propelled Turfco unit on the "list" for 1.5C dollars.
The "craftsman" that I did buy is a very light duty machine....at one time Sears did not sell junk under this name , now they do..:ashamed::mad:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I need an edger that works, and works well...not a wanna-be..
Does anyone make a good one at a fair price ?

Any hand held edger should do the job you're looking to do, if you want something a little stronger try the Echo Bed Redefiner
Echo Bed Redfiner