Lawn Boy S21ZPR

javjacob

Threads
I bought a Lawn Boy S21ZPR a few weeks ago. I was wondering how I can find out the year it was made?
I plan on repainting the deck as a lot of the paint is peeling off but other than that its in excellent condition. The wheels were so wore out I could rock it side to side a LOT and it was really hard to push. I fixed that with a set of orange steel wheels with the roller bearings. Its going to look good sitting next to my 6301 after I get the deck painted.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a Lawn Boy S21ZPR a few weeks ago. I was wondering how I can find out the year it was made?
I plan on repainting the deck as a lot of the paint is peeling off but other than that its in excellent condition. The wheels were so wore out I could rock it side to side a LOT and it was really hard to push. I fixed that with a set of orange steel wheels with the roller bearings. Its going to look good sitting next to my 6301 after I get the deck painted.

According to this PartsTree page, that model was made only in 1991. There may be a better way to verify the year. Does your serial # fall within the range cited on the page?

Where did you get the wheels? Price?

javjacob

Threads
Thanks for the link, looks like 1991 was the only year. Lawn Boy had too many model numbers to keep up with. I got the wheels from old mower parts and put the new ones on my 6301 and the old wheels off the 6301 on the S21ZPR.

fabricgator

Threads
We love pictures....

...many times, more than thousands of words.

javjacob

Threads
image.jpg pic of the S21ZPR next to the 6301. This pic was with the old wheels. Going to paint the deck soon.

fabricgator

Threads
Schweet!

Do you know, is the deck an aluminum or a magnesium alloy?
Your other lawnboy looks great and the paint looks nice.

We use a new type of corrosion control on both aluminum and magnesium components on aircraft. It no longer has the hexachromate and has been holding as well as and time will tell if not better.

Here is a link if interested...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/prekotesurface.php

I have attended aviation shows and they give away sample size bottles that are probably enough to paint a couple of mower decks.

There is always the etch (Alumaprep) and Alodine (think Ospho for aluminum) solution. But you want to take care not to alodine magnesium parts. If the alodine smokes, it is magnesium and you need to wash it off right away and continue to rinse. There used to be the magnesium equivalent, Magnadyne, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

unclelee

Threads
Mag deck Lawnboy's will be stamped

Lee

javjacob

Threads
They don't have magnesium stamped anywhere so I assume they are both aluminum. They are both push models with F engines.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe that something like a mower deck will be made of an Al/Mg alloy. Pure Mg would be too brittle; pure Al too soft.