Lawn-Boy Model 4263 Won't Start

gsrgofass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long story short....I acquired the mower from an elderly couple that went into a condo.
It's a model 4263 (1950-1988). I downloaded the service manual but don't see a prime butoon described.
Is there one on this mower?
The only way I can start it is priming the cylinder by inserting fuel directly through the spark plug opening. About a half straw full gets the job done. Once started the mower runs pretty well. If I stop it it starts again in one pull.
I'll assume it's in need of a tune up but seeing how well it starts if I prime the cylinder I figured that's all I need for now :smile:

Fireman 123

Threads
If you haven't, go to the lawn boy website and under the parts link enter the model #. There you will find parts diagrams for your machine. If still no luck on a primer bulb, grab an old spray bottle lying around and give it a squirt or two each time you cold start it. Anything is worth keeping these old machines going :). Hope I was of some help.

nothing like the smell of 2-stroke smoke and fresh cut grass roasting on the muffler!

gsrgofass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fireman:
I visited the website already but found nothing new from what info I have in the original manual I downloaded. The diagrams in the manual are hand drawn and not very clear. In "Section 4, Page 30" (4-30) I see what appears to be a sectional view of a priming bulb and primer hose but I certainly do NOT have it on the mower anywhere :thumbdown:

Either the primer bulb is missing or damaged and had not been replaced by the older gentleman. I'll look closer at the mower after giving it a good cleanup. The mower is caked with grass and spent fuel.

One question tho.....what do u mean when you say quote "grab an old spray bottle lying around and give it a squirt or two each time you cold start it"? A squirt where? Directly into the carb through the air intake?

Fireman 123

Threads
Correct. A shot of fuel into the carb should do the trick if all else fails.
Easier than taking the plug out each time. After you get it cleaned up, post a pic.

nothing like the smell of 2-stroke smoke and fresh cut grass roasting on the muffler!

Fireman 123

Threads
Btw. Looked on lb website for you. Model 4263 is not a working number...? Did you say it was a 50's era mower?

gsrgofass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go here:
https://support.lawnboy.com/portal/server.pt/community/product_center/217
Enter model number: 4263

The user manual describes this design to be from 1950-1988 but the model number 4263 reflects a 1988 mower as seen below.

Model Year Serial Range Engine Manuafacturer Engine Model Number
4263 1988 G00000001-G99999999 Lawn-Boy F

I can email you the user manual if you want a peek. PM me if you do. It's a 639 pager @ 140MB.

dwblue00

Threads
Go here:

The user manual describes this design to be from 1950-1988 but the model number 4263 reflects a 1988 mower as seen below.

I can email you the user manual if you want a peek. PM me if you do. It's a 639 pager @ 140MB.

It would be nice to see lots of pics of it around the outside and engine to get a idea of what year it might be.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go here:

Where did you find that manual? Is it a USER manual? -- at a whopping 639 pages? :eek:

If it's actually a service manual I'm very interested in finding one for the models I have.

gsrgofass

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would be nice to see lots of pics of it around the outside and engine to get a idea of what year it might be.

It appears to be a 1988 year of manufacture according to the model number.
I gave it a wash and will post pics. The exterior of the carb and linkages are completely covered is oil/gas/dirt residue. The mower either runs full out or idles rough. If there is supposed to be a priming bulb it's definitely not there. I have to prime the carb by dropping fuel down the intake.
Even though the service manual is 640 pages it's from the early 80's and it's hand drawn diagrams and desciptions are primative at best.

I will have to wait until winter to disassemble the carb for an overhaul. I can't risk messing it up for summer and be left without a means to mow the lawn.

gsrgofass

Forum Newbie
Threads