late model TB bronco (mtd) lawn tractor

mcljc979

Threads
hi all
i have a chance to pickup a 2013 14 troy bilt bronco lawn tractor that is in really nice condition (i know, it's an MTD)
for dirt cheap due it needs a head gasket and the wiring near the head has melted
i don't have the tractor yet but i was thinking to replace the head gasket myself (done it before)
and flip it but my concern is the melted wires down below
i don't know if these wires are from engine or the tractor's harness
i can't go back to his place to look at it but for $130 he can deliver it to me
i did look at it some days before and told me it needed just a head gasket replaced and wanted $350 for it
sorry i don't have a model number or what engine is in it (can't bother him he's very ill)
what do you guys think, buy try to fix and flip or pass it?
i think i can still flip it AS IS for more than $130

P.S seller is only asuming it needs a head gasket due to low compression and now melted wires

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If that mower has the single cylinder Kohler courage they are known to have cracked blocks and that is the engine I have seen in the TB bronco.

possum

Threads
On the late models the melted wires most times are from overheating. So is the low compression on low hour machines.

mcljc979

Threads
On the late models the melted wires most times are from overheating. So is the low compression on low hour machines.

ok, is it worth to repower with a used engine?

possum

Threads
Used Courage singles are something I have never ran across. I would pull the valve cover and look in there. If no problems I would pull the head and look in there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The melted wires have to be part of the mower as the engine wires exit the cover behind the starter motor which is a long way from the head.
The only wires in that region are the onse to the fuel solenoid and the ones to the headlamp.