Larger zero turn deck underneath clean out tips

Vanousb

Threads
Have recently upgraded to 60 inch Pioneer S Exmark with fabricated/welded mowing deck. Wanted to ask the group what tips they have for underneath clean out from basic, to great tips, etc. to get the most longevity out of a larger mowing deck.

Vanousb

Threads
I suppose my question is, other than spraying out under the deck after each mow with a garden hose, are there any tips to help with clippings build up or long term degrading of deck?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suppose my question is, other than spraying out under the deck after each mow with a garden hose, are there any tips to help with clippings build up or long term degrading of deck?

Don't believe the urban legend of spraying Pam underneath the deck!!! I even tried a teflon-based dry spray lubricant called Zeplon on a brand new lawn tractor deck.....no joy. I've heard that painting the deck belly with Emron paint(used for painting airplanes) works but it's a hazmat and not a DIY project. Raising the deck, using a putty knife and then spraying with a garden hose after each mowing like you stated is the best method. Once a season, before storing, jack it up and power wash it. Also, after each mowing...be sure to let it cool down before spraying that cold water on the deck spindles. For the rest of the machine don't spray often with water...just use a power blower. Again...a nice wash & wax once a year before storing for the winter won't hurt.

P.S.
If a manufacturer decides to build and sell a mower with a "teflon coated" deck belly they would break all sales records and all others would scramble to follow suit. Of course tire manufacturers have the ability to produce a tire that would yield > 100,000 miles but sales would go way down....right? Same goes for "lifetime" build-up free decks on ZTR's:0)

Vanousb

Threads
Don't believe the urban legend of spraying Pam underneath the deck!!! I even tried a teflon-based dry spray lubricant called Zeplon on a brand new lawn tractor deck.....no joy. I've heard that painting the deck belly with Emron paint(used for painting airplanes) works but it's a hazmat and not a DIY project. Raising the deck, using a putty knife and then spraying with a garden hose after each mowing like you stated is the best method. Once a season, before storing, jack it up and power wash it. Also, after each mowing...be sure to let it cool down before spraying that cold water on the deck spindles. For the rest of the machine don't spray often with water...just use a power blower. Again...a nice wash & wax once a year before storing for the winter won't hurt.

P.S.
If a manufacturer decides to build and sell a mower with a "teflon coated" deck belly they would break all sales records and all others would scramble to follow suit. Of course tire manufacturers have the ability to produce a tire that would yield > 100,000 miles but sales would go way down....right? Same goes for "lifetime" build-up free decks on ZTR's:0)

Thanks for the tips djdicetn. Want to keep in for a long time to come and that means care.

Av8r

Threads
Or...cut when the grass is dry and you can scrape and clean once a month when you sharpen blades...:thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the tips djdicetn. Want to keep in for a long time to come and that means care.

I hear ya....mine just turned over 50 hours and I've probably spent 100 hours cleaning it and checking over everything:0)

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't start mowing until 11 AM when things dry out somewhat. You may want to consider a ZTR jack like a MoJack. I've go a MoJack Pro and love it!! No matter what, you gotta get underneath to clean and/or swap blades.

sjessen

Threads
Removing the baffle at the discharge will help minimize buildup.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Removing the baffle at the discharge will help minimize buildup.

On that note(what you can do to reduce buildup)....It may not hold true for all ZTR's, but when I added the OEM mulch kit to my Gravely it cut the buildup in half(or more). And it gets rid of the windrows better than removing the discharge chute:0)

Nwatson99

Threads
I recommend getting the Mojack Pro, clean under your deck with a putty knife at least one per month or more if you like while inspecting and "possibly swapping out sharpened blades"
I use to do my deck every 50 hrs with the oil change service, but after reading on here I am going to do mine way more often now.