LA120 HORRIBLE cut with mulch kit

kidsmoke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did search for other threads with this issue. I hope this isn't a redundant thread.

I recently installed the mulching blades and the mulch cover to this mower (42" deck) The cut is terrible. I've ensured that the both blades are turning and the spindles aren't bent nor is the deck cracked, but man is it an uneven cut. I do believe I adjusted the deck to make it even, in my search i read a comment on another forum mentioning that the front of the deck needs to be below the back of the deck for proper cut. Is this true?
HELP

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generally the front is set some lower than the rear for some reason, don't really understand that either. But to mulch the grass has to be really dry, and you cut about an inch or less of grass height. Be hard to mulch with a big mower deck I'd think.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, generally you want the front of the deck to be slightnly lower, on the order of 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Make sure all of the tires are properly inflated to spec (not the max psi given on the sidewall) before adjusting. The deck pitch is so the grass gets cut by the blades in the front portion of the deck only. You may find that you will get a better cut dropping your cutting height slightly from where you had it while discharging. You will also need to slow down some.

Edit - make sure your blades are not on upside down. The surface that was ground to sharpen them should be facing up towards the deck.