L120 surges and dies

Threads
Well, I have posted this problem before and thought it was fixed, NOT. Sometimes I can mow a little and sometimes a lot.
It will cut for a while then surge and die. The gas cap is not clogged, no debris blocking air intake, new air filter, oil filter, fuel pump, voltage regulator. No grass packed under the deck.
Some have suggested bad coils but after the fuel pump replacement I did mow 8 acres with no problem so would I have been able to do that if the coils were bad?
I did notice when it dies, the fuel filter is completely full of gas? That's why I replaced the fuel pump thinking it wasn't keeping up.
I just mowed about 500 feet and it died?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds to be intermittent, check all wiring & connections by hand making sure everything is tight & secure including ground cables & straps from engine to frame & chassis, check backside of ignition switch, seat safety switch & wiring for being crimped, relays, also look for bad spots in wiring, melted plastic connections etc.

OMGX21647_K3

Last edited:
Threads
Hi MM,
Thanks, I will check all that in a bit. It's pretty hot, just mowed about 3/4 of a acre. See what I mean, big difference from 500 feet to 3/4 acre.
It does seem like it is getting too hot.
There are a couple small melt spots on the plenum extension thing. I will check it though!!
Thanks for the tip. I will let you know if it helps. Might take a day or two, I will mow the front and test it out afterward.
Thanks again for taking the time to help!!