Kommander versus Gravely ZT HD

RustyBoy

Threads
Help!!! Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I need some serious advice. Trying to decide over which ZTM; I've narrowed it down to the 2014 Z125S-48 Kommander and the Gravely ZT HD. Both are essentially the same cost. The differences I'm concerned about are:
1.) The Kommander has 1" aluminum spindles while the Gravely has 1" cast iron - not sure but I assume cast iron is better.
2.) Kommander has the Kohler Courage while the Gravely has the Kawasaki FR Twin. From what I read, I believe most think the Kawasaki is considered a better engine but any comments here would be helpful as I also understand that the Kohler was modified for Kubota.
3.) Gravely has the floating deck while the Kommander is fixed - is this not a big deal? Most commercial units use the floating deck .
4.) Kommander has a better warranty but I would hope that the longer warranty would not be needed so this is not much of a consideration.
5.) Gravely has a 5 1/2" deck versus the Kommander's 5" - is the 5 1/2" deck overkill for a residential lawn?
6.) Rear tires on the Kommander are 22x10-14 while the Gravely has 20x10-10, and for the front, 11x4-5 pneumatic on the Kommander's versus smooth 13x5-6 on the Gravely.
7.) Very important to me as I have a bad back. Does anyone know which mower would ride smoother as I was thinking maybe the tires would be an indicator of some sorts but just not sure.
8.) The Kommander has been out for only 1 1/2 years while the Gravely model has been around a long time without changes. Both use the same drive system. Other than what I mentioned, I can't think of anything else that I can use to justify buying one unit over the other. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Carheir

Threads
Help!!! Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I need some serious advice. Trying to decide over which ZTM; I've narrowed it down to the 2014 Z125S-48 Kommander and the Gravely ZT HD. Both are essentially the same cost. The differences I'm concerned about are:
1.) The Kommander has 1" aluminum spindles while the Gravely has 1" cast iron - not sure but I assume cast iron is better.
2.) Kommander has the Kohler Courage while the Gravely has the Kawasaki FR Twin. From what I read, I believe most think the Kawasaki is considered a better engine but any comments here would be helpful as I also understand that the Kohler was modified for Kubota.
3.) Gravely has the floating deck while the Kommander is fixed - is this not a big deal? Most commercial units use the floating deck .
4.) Kommander has a better warranty but I would hope that the longer warranty would not be needed so this is not much of a consideration.
5.) Gravely has a 5 1/2" deck versus the Kommander's 5" - is the 5 1/2" deck overkill for a residential lawn?
6.) Rear tires on the Kommander are 22x10-14 while the Gravely has 20x10-10, and for the front, 11x4-5 pneumatic on the Kommander's versus smooth 13x5-6 on the Gravely.
7.) Very important to me as I have a bad back. Does anyone know which mower would ride smoother as I was thinking maybe the tires would be an indicator of some sorts but just not sure.
8.) The Kommander has been out for only 1 1/2 years while the Gravely model has been around a long time without changes. Both use the same drive system. Other than what I mentioned, I can't think of anything else that I can use to justify buying one unit over the other. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Since I am not a kohler fan, it narrows the decision for me. Floating deck + , 5 1/2" deck +, as for the smoothest ride; go try both out. Let us know which one you decide on.

st1300

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get the Kubota with the suspension seat you can just see the engineering difference in the Kubota it's super nice mower very smooth

tman47

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get the Kubota with the suspension seat you can just see the engineering difference in the Kubota it's super nice mower very smooth

Just bought a new Kommander today. Thought about the suspension seat for $300 until I saw an Ebay ad for the same suspension system for $149 with free shipping.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Aren't you glad you got the Pro-Turn!!!! The Kubota Kommander is a good ZTR, but the parts are very expensive compared to the Gravely and it can't hold a candle overall to your Pro-Turn for all the reasons you stated about the ZT HD(and more). My father-in-law has a diesel Kubota(a 72" $13k beast) and he's wanting to get rid of it after 5 years because he says it "beats him to death" mowing 15 acres. Just sayin' that more expensive is not always better:0)