Kohler XT6 Engine Won't Start - 2 years old

konowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman push power with a 149cc Kohler XT6 Courage engine. It's just over 2 years old (just out of warranty) and it won't start. I replaced the spark plug, and if I take the plug out and put a bit of gas in there, it will run brielfy and then die, so obviously to me it's not getting gas. What are my next steps? Replace fuel filter maybe?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean the carb, probably gummed up.

konowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean the carb, probably gummed up.

Ugh does that mean I have to take the carb off and clean it? I just found out where the carb IS LOL. Can't believe it would need to be taken off and cleaned on a mower that's only 2 years old.

konowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have to do it at least two times a day. Not uncommon with today ethanol fuel. Likes to gum up the passages. After you get it fixed, start using non-ethanol fuel, may have to use high octane.

This manual might help.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...ler-service-Repair-Manual-Command-CH5-CH6.pdf

So I took the carb off, took it apart cleaned the living snot out of it - still won't start. Checked fuel line, checked filter, all looks ok. If I take the bottom nut off of the carb and try to start, I don't get any gas out of it though which I find odd as i feel that I should. If I put a bit of gas in where the sparkplug goes, it will run until that gas wears out. I'm kind of running out of ideas here! I cleaned the snot out of that damn carberator!!!

Any other ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not getting fuel into the carb, going to have to check the fuel lines between the tank and carb.

schmidtsm

Threads
I use this thing called fuel stabilizer! It works pretty well considering the ethanol fuel.

DaveTN

Threads
So I took the carb off, took it apart cleaned the living snot out of it - still won't start. Checked fuel line, checked filter, all looks ok. If I take the bottom nut off of the carb and try to start, I don't get any gas out of it though which I find odd as i feel that I should. If I put a bit of gas in where the sparkplug goes, it will run until that gas wears out. I'm kind of running out of ideas here! I cleaned the snot out of that damn carberator!!!

Any other ideas?

Float and Needle may be sticking. Take the fuel line off going into the carburetor, squirt some carb cleaner in it, but gently. Enough to put a puddle in it. Then work the float and needle up and down with your hand gently. Should cut the gas flow off and on. Then see if that works when you put the fuel line back on temporarily. Then try opening and closing the float and see if it flows gas and shuts off like it should. If not, remove float and needle, remove fuel inlet line and squirt carb cleaner up through where the needle goes and see if anything comes out the fuel inlet fitting. Probably something hanging the float or needle up, or varnish etc. Hope this helps.