KOHLER - WHEN RUNNING, GAS FUMES WILL ABOUT KNOCK YOU OUT

shillnav

Threads
  • / KOHLER - WHEN RUNNING, GAS FUMES WILL ABOUT KNOCK YOU OUT
KOHLER COURAGE, MOD SV735S, 26 HP ON A CUB CADET.

This mower was just brought to me to look at. Starts and runs fine but the gas odor makes it unbearable for the owner to sit and use it. One plug is clean, one plug has carbon buildup.

My first thought is the valves need adjusting... Does this sound likely??

Can anyone tell me what the compression reading should be on this engine??

Checked the air filter and there was no odor of fuel.............

Also, I can't seem to find a service manual on this particular model of Courage Engine.

All help will be appreciated !!

shillnav

Threads
WOW......... It's happened again.......... 40 views in one hour and no one has any feedback??? I don't get it...... Is it because none of the 40 have a clue?? Or is that no one wants to take the time to reply??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy are we cheap and bossy. Do you think everyone that looks at a posting has an answer for you. This is the last time I'm going to help you if you can't act civilized and wait. If you haven't figured it out yet, we don't get paid for helping people. If you want it that fast, go pay a mechanic at your local dealership. Here's your manual.

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee...SV710_thru_SV740_SV810_thru_SV840_REV9_11.pdf

shillnav

Threads
Rivets, sorry if I came across as cheap and bossy or uncivilized.................. That was not my intention. It had been a long frustrating day, and I'll admit that I was way too impatient. Thanks for your help as always.

Have you ever encountered a rider with the gas fumes suffocating you? I'm thinking that it may be a valve and the unburnt fuel is being discharged out of the cylinder. Would you agree?

My apologies........................

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm assuming you mean exhaust fumes, not raw fuel. If it is raw fuel, you have a fuel leak somewhere in the fuel system. I would start with the tank, that may have a crack, which leaks fuel when you are using the unit. You should not get raw fuel out the muffler, which should give you a fire in the muffler when it gets hot. Also, pull the plug wire off the cylinder with the clean plug, while the engine is running. Use an insulated pliers, or you'll get a good shock. The engine RPM's should change it that plug is firing.

shillnav

Threads
Thanks Rivets, It is a raw fuel smell and very strong. My thoughts right now are that it is coming out the exhaust. You don't smell it at all until you start the engine and then it's on big time.............These people had been using it that way. I was shocked at how strong the fumes are. I was expecting nothing this strong............ I've only run it for a couple of minutes at a time.

I did check the fuel tank and lines and found no leaks at all. It's a very clean mower, 4 yrs old, and I saw nothing to indicate leaks there.

I did a compression test last night, both cylinders read 175. I purchased a leak down tester today and will use it tomorrow.
It doesn't run rough at all. Starts easy, runs smooth........ The plug that has the build up is not real bad, it's just obviously different than the other one that is very clean.

I'll do exactly the things you've suggested and thank you very much for your advice and your tolerance for my obvious impatience.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is raw fuel and only smell it while it is running, may be a fuel line in the fuel pump or from there to the carb including the carb.

shillnav

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE, I'll check that as well........ Am anxious to get back on this one, just never encountered this before.... A gas smell, yes................ To the point of choking?? No.

shillnav

Threads
This one turned out to be the head gasket (hopefully)......... I'd done a compression test, both cylinders read 175. When I removed the valve cover, some fuel poured out and the head gasket was kind of soft and moist. I'm guessing that when running it was misting out enough fuel to choke you........ I only drove it a short distance. Customer has informed me that it didn't seem to have the power it had before the fumes started, which he'd not told me before.

Have parts on order and am hoping that will be the end of it.

Thanks for the responses.