Kohler twin oil pressure

dwzkd

Threads
Just a friendly observation: Remember if you see a comment in a post you think is ridiculous, you have the option to just scroll on by without responding. In an attempt to show how knowledgeable you are, you end up just showing what an ###### you are :)!

To the OP, I agree with those who have said your oil pressure is normal. A car engine's oil has a lot more passages and places to oil so the pressures can be much higher than you are seeing. And even those will see a decrease in pressure as it warms up.

rutbuster1

Threads
And then Honda secretly does this in the background

I don't know about you but I'm not at all excited about all this EV stuff. I mean some places I see where it might be effective, but if you've got multiple yards to cut a day or even if your yard is huge, would it last a charge. And then you have to worry about maintenance cost. Batteries are by no means cheap. And there's no telling how much the motors would cost.

Gescha

Threads
Hi folks,
I have a 2010 Kohler Courage twin SV840-0012 on my BadBoy Z turn. I decide to put an oil pressure gauge on it. I reads 30 psi at startup. After warmup it drops to 20 psi at idle, and 22 psi at 3000 rpm. Is this too low or is it pretty normal? Any help appreciated.
What oil and viscosity are you using?
And what is the high temperature where you are using this equipment?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know about you but I'm not at all excited about all this EV stuff. I mean some places I see where it might be effective, but if you've got multiple yards to cut a day or even if your yard is huge, would it last a charge. And then you have to worry about maintenance cost. Batteries are by no means cheap. And there's no telling how much the motors would cost.
I don't think this is going to go like they think it will. I have already had bad experiences with customer product where they obsoleted the repair parts while the unit was still under warranty. Company comes out with a 40v model and customers purchase that item, but six month later that same company moves to the 56v model and no longer supply replacement parts or batteries for their 40v line. Or if the replacement battery is available the cost of the battery is more than it cost to just replace the item entirely with a new model.

And then you have to dispose of the old batteries. And how many of those lithium-ion batteries are going to end up in garbage trucks that catch fire. Or how many items will end up at the side of the road and in landfills because they are not worth repairing, or no parts available.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But it is PROGRESS. :cry:

Forest#2

Threads
If you know that the oil prssure light comes on when you turn the key on and the engine NOT RUNNING and it never comes on when the engine is operating everything is normally ok.
I've seen the light flicker a low idle but go off when the engine picks up few rpms and I never seat such on small engines.
I've know of people that would overhaul an engine to make the oil pressure read higher and when they put it back together the oil pressure would be lower than before but acceptable.
If it were mine that you describe I would put it too work and change the oil as recommended.
Some small engine oil pressure Idiot light sensors are 3-5psi,
some 5-7.
If I see a oil light flickering or coming on first thing I do is check the actual oil pressure with a gauge. (I've seen bad/erratic sensors.

TobyU

Threads
Thanks for your reply Star. I would think they would want people to know as much as possible to insure reliability of their engine.
They do not! All they care about is making a product that will have the fewest or at least a negligible number of warranty claims and will get past the warranty and not be too much worse or too much better than the competition.
Gone, are the days of people making a product with every intention and even hoping you can get a decade or even two decades plus of service from it with minimal repairs and maintenance.

Now to address the actual post, that's great if you want to know what the oil pressure is but it's just a waste of time to get the gauge out and put it on the machine..
It obviously has oil pressure and it's doing just fine or it would have blown up several hours ago.
It doesn't really matter much about the oil pressure either because we had lawn mower engines for decades that had no pressure lubrication and work just fine but I'm not saying these would continue to run long without the oil pump because they've designed them that way and they've become more fragile in that aspect without actually giving us any more years of longevity. Lol
But overall, with engines in general, they need very little oil pressure too live a long and mostly happy life.
Almost everything out there has far more than it needs and you can see from the specifications for the oil pressure lights etc on most of these vehicles and mowers that is typically in the three to four PSI range and even cars as low as four to six before the lights come on that it doesn't take much.
It is also not accurate to say that if one only needs 5 PSI that 10 is going to be better and that 20 is going to be even better.
Having a little bit of a cushion like 7 to 9 would be just fine and 10 would probably be fine in these situations also but there is a point of diminishing returns or the lack of any extra returns where it's just a waste having 25 psi let's say because it's not going to help the overall durability of the engine in any way whatsoever.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not to debate the virtues of going EV but rather EV equipment serviceability. I have quit taking in any battery equipment in my shop. Even if I can diagnose a problem finding parts is difficult or impossible. I get asked a lot if I can get cheaper batteries and of course I can't. It seems that manufacturers are going for maximum profit by not supporting equipment with service parts and charging exorbitant prices for replacement batteries. I am seeing stuff only a few years old going to the landfill for things like a bad switch or wheel. I fix lots of 20 year old cheap gas powered push mowers. I guess time will tell how servicing battery stuff will shake out. I am not optimistic.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Not to debate the virtues of going EV but rather EV equipment serviceability. I have quit taking in any battery equipment in my shop. Even if I can diagnose a problem finding parts is difficult or impossible. I get asked a lot if I can get cheaper batteries and of course I can't. It seems that manufacturers are going for maximum profit by not supporting equipment with service parts and charging exorbitant prices for replacement batteries. I am seeing stuff only a few years old going to the landfill for things like a bad switch or wheel. I fix lots of 20 year old cheap gas powered push mowers. I guess time will tell how servicing battery stuff will shake out. I am not optimistic.

I will not and do not service any battery powered outdoor power equipment. Most of the homeowner stuff such as Ryobi, Craftsman, etc. there are very few if any shops that will repair. If you buy Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Redmax from a dealer, then the dealer will service the battery equipment that they sell. The initial onus is on the buyer to think long term. What happens if my battery powered trimmer, etc. quits working? Who will fix it? Shops can be as selective as they want on what they will and will not work on. Next year I am going to be much more selective than in years past. Too many headaches and frustration, with little profit for time spent.